Need Ford Loader and Brake Advice

/ Need Ford Loader and Brake Advice #1  

herdfan

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3045, Ford 2000
I posted this question on the Ford repair section with no response yet, so figured this may be a more appropriate spot due to the tractor's age.

What loader would work best with a 1972 Ford 2000? It has power steering.

Also, any idea on the costs/difficulty of replacing the brakes? Is this something that can be done on your own (have done lots of auto brake jobs and even old car restorations) or is it worth the extra expense to let the pros handle it?

Eric

/ Need Ford Loader and Brake Advice #2  
If it has outboard drum brakes, like a car, they are very easy to change, and inexpensive also. Buhler/Allied makes a loader for that tractor.
Chuck M.

/ Need Ford Loader and Brake Advice #3  
Which version of the 2000, styled like the older 100 series, or a newer type?

Probably get more sesponce over at www.ytmag.com where the old tractor folks hang out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul

/ Need Ford Loader and Brake Advice
Thanks Chuck
(Sorry for the delayed response)
I was also concerned about the weight of the tractor and having big enough tools (and muscles) to do the brake job. May be a good excuse to get that bigger-drive socket set, huh? :)
I'll research those loader brands.
Should I expect to pay around the $3000 mark for a good one, or are there more inexpensive ones to be had?
I noticed in your profile that you're a Century rep - I just bought a 3045 TLB and expect delivery next week. Can't wait for it! I plan to keep the 2000 for "bottom land" work.
Eric

Rambler,

I think mine is the newer model, but not 100% sure. It looks like ones that have a newer production date.
I've checked out the Yesterday's Tractor website before, but it's been a while, and I haven't posted anything there yet - may be worth a shot.

Thanks
Eric

/ Need Ford Loader and Brake Advice #6  
Is the Ford a 3 cylinder or 4, the Early 2000 1962-64 has a 4 cylinder. 1965 & above had a 3 cylinder, is what I think Rambler is trying to find out. My coments on the brakes were made thinking it was a 1965 & above 3 cylinder
Chuck M.

It is the 3 cyl diesel.

/ Need Ford Loader and Brake Advice #8  
Then it should have outboard drum style brakes, they would be like automotive brakes and would be easy to repair. Shoes, spring s, drums, etc, are all available new at very reasonalble prices. This is a good tractor to own, regardless of the age. The Buhler/Allied loader for that tractor would be a model 295, and you can see it at www.buhler.com
Chuck M.

Thanks for the info.
Sounds like I should be able to tackle that brake job okay.
That tractor is a pretty good unit. I just replaced the injectors and did a filter and fluid change and it sounds real nice. I hope to keep it going for several more years to come.
Of course, I can't wait until my new Century TLB gets in next week! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Eric