Need front tires for BX 2660

/ Need front tires for BX 2660 #1  

Bamacummins

Bronze Member
My tires are 14 plus years old, dry rotting and not holding air. Been researching trying to find replacements. Local Kubota dealer is crazy prize, $140 for each without rim. Messicks had these with rims, but wanted $110 to ship Kubota #ABXR8678 18X8.50-10 R4 Tire & Rim Assembly

Local coop has these BKT skid tire for $100 each plus tax installed. https://www.amazon.com/BK-18-8-50-1...08186818&sprefix=bkt+18x8.50-10,aps,96&sr=8-3

The BKT are 8 ply. From costs perspective, looks like this is way to go. Only concern is mowing - I mostly use the BX for mowing and occasional loader work and concerned about the ride quality. This thing already beats me to death when mowing uneven terrain. Any opinions or thoughts?

/ Need front tires for BX 2660 #2  
For mostly mower use I personally would bite the bullet and get the (presumably 4 ply) tires from Kubota. There is also the issue of tire circumference that is required to maintain the correct lead / lag ratio on a 4x4 machine. Circumference can vary enough between manufacturers to make a difference.

That said, I put 10 ply chevron tread tires on the rear of my Kubota ZD326 zero turn, and can't really feel any difference in ride quality.

/ Need front tires for BX 2660 #3  
I have had several tire replacement trials and puzzles with BX over the years. All turf. For example one front tire I replaced on a BX2200 was very noticeably "round topped" in profile [just looking down at the tire while on the tractor] compared to the original which was very "flat topped" yet they were the exact same size, specs and model tire from the same manufacturer !! Crazy. Apparently they make obscure changes over time without explanation or spread of info. That said, I have had the best outcomes (in two states) by going to the best, long established brand-name tire dealer nearby and dumping it in their lap to find the right tires. Not cheap but neither are they over the top high priced.

/ Need front tires for BX 2660 #4  
Even with the evidence of dry rot, tubing them can let you continue using them for a bit longer if the tread is good. I'd never do this with an on-road vehicle, but for my Big Orange Power Tool (BX22) and my (other brand) ZTR, it's been a cost effective way to deal with this. The one time I did replace the tires on the BX over the last 22 years, I found it less expensive to buy them already mounted on Kubota wheels from a dealer than to just try and buy tires. The dealer was totally surprised about that, too.

/ Need front tires for BX 2660 #5  
Your Kubota salesman can order rim and tire together under Whole goods cheaper than parts. Give it a try.https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/whole-goods-vs-parts.67345/

/ Need front tires for BX 2660 #7  
Dad bought his 8 ply front tires for his X2230 from the local tire store. Had to order them, but wer here in a day or two. Northern Michigan. Jon