Need help - Ford CM272 commercial mower overheating

/ Need help - Ford CM272 commercial mower overheating
Steve HEF said:
They had the same problem with the 272 here at my job. Prior to my coming here the dropped a pile of money on the thing replacing parts, water pump, thermostat, fan and even resorted to propping the hood half open with bungees. I started studying it because we had the same symptoms, it wouldn't overheat until about 45 minutes of mowing. I pulled the radiator and water flow seemed fine. While the fins looked clean, I held a drop light behind the radiator and you couldn't see light through the core. It was caked up with what looked like mud, it was probably dust from grass and such kicked up by the mower.

I pressure washed the radiator and reinstalled, we haven't had a problem since.

I only paid $1500 for the mower, and it's done great up until this... so I can stomach a reasonable amount of money spent on repairs. But with that said, I'm not wasting money on a sinking ship either, so if it costs too much, I'll abandon ship!

Sent from my Motorola Photon using TractorByNet for Android

/ Need help - Ford CM272 commercial mower overheating #12  
I have a CM35 and it is a poor design for engine cooling. I have to stop and clean the screen in front of the radiator about once an hour. Does yours have the screen that keeps the dust out of the radiator? If not you need to blow it out after EVERY USE. If you don't, you will definitely have cooling problems. I have to blow my radiator out as well about once per month even with being very diligent about cleaning that screen. Try getting one of those attachments for your air compressor that is about 2 feet long that looks like a long blowgun and stick it up inside the fan housing and blow the heck out of it. After that go to the front and do it from there as well. Go back and forth from front to back until no more trash comes out. This makes a huge difference in my machines temp. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

/ Need help - Ford CM272 commercial mower overheating #13  
I have the cm 222 bought it a year ago with the same problem.

Last week i took the rad out took about 45 mins (1.75 beers)

The fan blows from in to out and i couldnt see any debris untill i got the rad out

It was so packed with stuff the shroud had bent over the fins of the rad i guess due to vibration.

Fixed the bent fins washed and blew out the rad

Now works perfect

Your other problem reqires a little more surgery ez out a tap and thread sealer

Good Luck
I have a CM222 as well and have the same overheating problems. New water pump, t-stat, hoses, I have had the radiator pressure test good, and it looks like good flow, but still overheats. An "expert" told me that being 30 years old it's probable that the radiator is clogged from years of gunk and that the radiator is only circulating at 1/2 it's capacity. So new or rebuilt radiator is my next move. If anyone has a good source to buy one I would appreciate it. Otherwise I'll have one made. These tractors are work horses. I'm not giving up on it.