Buying Advice need some mower advice

/ need some mower advice #11  
Agree with others that the L100 series transmissions are too weak or should I say not very durable. That said there is no way I wan't to go through removal and replacement of the mower deck weekly either. I am thinking of trading mine in on a much better unit for next year. My L130 is slightly slower this summer than I remember it being last year.:(
I would rather trade up before it is toast but man the X748 and X749 mowers are expensive. My next mower though will be diesel with shaft drive.:thumbsup:

/ need some mower advice
Thanks all for the advice.

As for some of the missing information some commented about:

I mow a 3/4 acre yard with only a few trees. I do have a playset for my kids that was always a pain to mow under with the L-120. I figure that with a RFM, I could back in and mow under swings, etc easier than mowing under them.

I am physically able to put a MMM on and off, I just don't like doing it with my current L-120. Is the MMM on the 2305 easier to install/remove than a typical garden tractor? I could see that the castor wheels on the 62c could make a huge difference.

I had my L-120 "repaired" at the Deere dealership where I bought both the L-120 and the 2305. Generelly, I have had a good experience with them and they have helped me out in the past--I do not think that they are trying to pull one over on me.

Making matters more complicated, the recent repair work I had done included some typical seasonal maintanence (oil change, etc.) and the replacement of the tranny belt that was obviously worn. I would have done the repair myself, but the belt happens to run through some major components under the tractor such as the steering assembly--obviously, this was not intended to be an easy change for the operator.

As far as comments about the L-120, it is years old and has seen its share of work--mowed yards, "bush hogged (sorta) plowed lots of snow and plowed gravel, lime dust dirt and driveway materials. It may be a lightwieght tractor, but I have thrown some heavy-duty assignments at it.

My concerns regarding my new mower are as follows:

Can the MMM, the implement for which the 2305 seems designed to use, be kept on while I use the tractor for other utility work--my main reason for owning the little beast in the first place

Is the RFM as good a quality cut as a MMM? One advantage I see with a RFM is the ability to back under bushes--I have loads of bushes around the edge of my yard. I also like the flexibility of being able to back under the swing set and play equipment for my kids. I am certain that the ROPS would prevent my mowing under the play equipment and I have gotten pretty good at mowing in reverse with my LX4.

Lastly, part of me will miss having a second tractor around. I have found that there are times when a second utility vehicle is just what I need. This is especially true since I have a utility cart and a snow plow for the L-120. Whatever its demerits, it has been a useful machine to have around. Complicating my decision is the recent estimate by the dealership that the tranny could be replaced for $700. Now I kow good and well that is a lot of money to pile on a small piece of equipment, but it is a whole lot less than any replacement option.

I think that ultimately, I would like to have a dedicated front-deck mower (I prefer the true front deck varieties over the mid deck styled varieties that are far more common), but this is an expensive option and is years off.

Again, thanks for all the input and any further thoughts, especially about the ease/difficulty of putting on the MMM.

SI2305

/ need some mower advice #13  
We offer the First Choice 6 ft Finish Mower for $1395 + shipping, You cant buy a better finish mower with as many features as these mowers have. Ken Sweet

/ need some mower advice #14  
Making matters more complicated, the recent repair work I had done included some typical seasonal maintanence (oil change, etc.) and the replacement of the tranny belt that was obviously worn. I would have done the repair myself, but the belt happens to run through some major components under the tractor such as the steering assembly--obviously, this was not intended to be an easy change for the operator.

SI2305

If costs end up dictating that you repair the L-120, I suggest you check Surplus Center for a replacement transaxle. They should be quite a bit cheaper than the Deere dealership. Obviously you'll have to do the repair yourself or have an independent shop do the work if you get a transaxle from SC.

https://www.surpluscenter.com