Need stray goat integration advice

/ Need stray goat integration advice #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
We have three female goats. Kept in a pen, with some free range privilege. Healthy and happy-go-lucky goofballs.

Today, a young female goat showed up out of nowhere, standing outside of our animal pen. Looks like a nubian breed. She's a bit lame, with an injury of some sort to one of her front legs. She can get around, but she's limping. She's a bit wary of us, but apparently used to people, and although our dog is around, other than watching it, the young goat is not bolting (not sure she can run, but she's showing no inclination to bolt). Clearly an escapee from nearby, or maybe somebody just set her free nearby. Nobody in our immediate neighborhood besides us keeps goats. I can only think of a few other homesteads with goats, all at least 3 miles away.

We've got a vet coming Wednesday to check her leg. We've posted on Nextdoor and the local Facebook group to see if someone will claim her. We can probably make room for her if she's homeless.

My question is: What's the best way to integrate her with the three others? They've been together for a few years. They are interacting through the fence (goat wire), and we can leave them like that for a while. But, sooner or later, we'll have to let them directly mingle.

Any concerns about introducing a new goat to three well settled goats?

/ Need stray goat integration advice #2  
I didn't see what breed you already have? If we are talking your 60 lbs herd, and a 140 lbs Nubian, it might be different than your existing herd being 100+ lbs Nubians also. I'd probably introduce them in a fairly large padock, and avoid forcing them together in a small pen. I would keep the newbie separate for a week, incase there is a disease issue?

/ Need stray goat integration advice
Appreciate the comments.

Good news: I don't have to worry about. We found the owner. She'll be here in the AM to pick up her stray. Apparently, they lost one (of four) to a coyote during the day yesterday, it spooked the others, and this one got out. She's about 2.5 miles from us.