need suggestions on slowing /fixing leak B7100

/ need suggestions on slowing /fixing leak B7100 #1  

dntfxr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford, LS
I have a '93 B7100 -awesome little machine- that spent most of its life in the weather.I recently rescued it, however one of the casualties is a leaking seal on the input shaft of the HST. I have scheduled to have the seal replaced at my dealer at the first available opening - which is 2-3 weeks from now. However, I really need to use the tractor next week. Are there any conditioners or thicker hydro fluids that are safe to use in my tranny that may slow the leak so I can get my job done?
If not, I already have the new replacement seal and o-ring that goes behind the charge pump case. I am seriously considering buying a large floor jack and/or engine hoist and splitting the tractor to do the repair myself. Does anyone know if the whole transmission would need to be removed, or just the three bolts holding the charge pump case to get to the seal once the tractor is split.
BTW its the seal right below the HST filter on the front of the transmission where the shaft from the motor goes to the HST.
Thanks

/ need suggestions on slowing /fixing leak B7100
bump.

/ need suggestions on slowing /fixing leak B7100 #3  
I would not add any "conditioners" to the hydraulic fluid to slow the leak... you may cause other problems.

You doing the work on your tractor will give you valuable on hands training for any future events you may need to do.

As for what needs to be removed I have no idea since I can't see it or have a print in ft. of me:)

/ need suggestions on slowing /fixing leak B7100
Thanks for the reply.
I decided to bring extra hydro oil with me to get the job done. Then I'm gonna tackle the job myself.
Any good links to pics or descriptions of set-ups for splitting compact tractors?
Thanks for the responses.

/ need suggestions on slowing /fixing leak B7100 #5  
Do *not* try to add anything to your hydro fluid to try and stop a leak. You'll almost certainly clog up one of the apertures in the HST.

There is (was?) a great thread in this forum that someone posted about splitting a B series. It had pictures and everything. I just did a quick search for it and couldn't find it - I'm pretty sure it was on this forum but...

You pretty much have to take everything there is on the tractor off of it. It is quite do-able, though. I highly recommend that you have a service manual handy. Not everything is completely obvious about how to take it apart correctly.