Need trailer wood deck recommendation

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #11  
+3 for white oak

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #12  
I have had non treated 2x6 on the center of a open center trailer for 10yrs. Never treated..I sold the trailer with them still on there and working fine.

I have put used motor oil on exterior wood with good sucess.

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #13  
White oak is heavy though . . .

Ships used to be built from white oak. Super dense and strong and was available in lengths and widths needed without knots.

Around here, I'd be inclined to look for some ash at the local sawmills. All the ash trees got wiped out a couple years ago and there's still a pretty good supply of ash logs around. The ash borer didn't really hurt the internal wood.

It's not white oak, but if it's good enough for baseball bats, it'd be great on a trailer.

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #14  
I've had rough sawed hemlock on my trailer for over 10 years. Each spring it is given a rolled on coat of used Detroit Diesel oil. The same treatment in the fall. No sign of rot yet.

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #15  
White oak is heavy though . . .

Ships used to be built from white oak. Super dense and strong and was available in lengths and widths needed without knots.

Around here, I'd be inclined to look for some ash at the local sawmills. All the ash trees got wiped out a couple years ago and there's still a pretty good supply of ash logs around. The ash borer didn't really hurt the internal wood.

It's not white oak, but if it's good enough for baseball bats, it'd be great on a trailer.
Ash rots too easy out in the elements for me to use it on my trailers.

White oak is miles better!

SR

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #16  
I would check in your area for a place that sells Marine grade Lumber. Bring it home and let it dry. This does two things, it allows the wood to shrink, and it allows the wood to soak up oil.

I would then build a box of two by eights or two by sixes longer than the longest boards on my trailer. Line the box with a heavy builders plastic to make a trough. Then you can fill the box with a stack of lumber with spacers between the layers and pour in whatever preservative you want. I have used diesel and used oil mixed and I’ve also used linseed oil. Allow them to soak for as long as you reasonably can before attaching them to your trailer.

It is kind of messy as you wait for them to dry back up from the oil bath. But if you’ve got the room to do it the bath will sure let your wood last longer.

I used this process when I built a small house here in Florida. The siding which was dipped in linseed oil has held up extremely well for 30 years to Trailer Decking. I have to add also that it was Cyprus Lumber that I used to do the board and batten siding.
Been looking around for info on the options for decking on my 6x10 trailer. I think for the cost I’m going to go with pressure treated. The last time I just used untreated boards and it didn’t last to well. Sounds like white oak and a type of laminate is better but way expensive. With the pressure treated it seems it shrinks quite abit. I would like to have a small gap in between my boards after all the shrinkage is done, about 3/16” to 1/4” would work I think to let debris be able to go through the gaps and not hold water so it can run off and drip through. From my search it seems some have laid the new boards on with no gap to 1/16” gap and when they are done shrinking you are left with about 1/4” gap. Curious what you guys have done. Thanks

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #17  
I have an old trailer and the wooden deck is rotting out and needs to be replaced. I thought there was thread about this but I can't find it. So, what do folks recommend for a new deck to carry my 7K lb tractor?
White oak!

accept no substitute.

(Well, southern hard pine might do.

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #19  
My trailer had what appeared to be 20+ year old untreated 2x12 fir. Largely ok until I had a milling machine fall over and destroy half of it.

Replaced with pressure treated 2x12 fir.

Right now I have random 4' to 6' pieces of 4x8, 4x10, and 4x12 laid on the deck to protect the deck and distribute weight from a Sheep's Foot that I purchased.

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #20  
I mop my 20' PJ trailer down about every 2 - 3 years with boiled linseed oil. So far, in 12 years, no rot at all.