Need Voltage regulator For Dong Fang

/ Need Voltage regulator For Dong Fang #1  

JackMentink

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 Montana R3644
I need a voltage regulator for a 2003 model Dong fang 254b tractor. It has the terra Plane name but they don't import any more. I need a voltage regulator for the uinit. I beleieve it has a yang dong engine. Any ideas where I can get one?

Jack Mentink
Rolla, MO 65401

/ Need Voltage regulator For Dong Fang #2  
any chance of putting a digital picture of the old one on here?

/ Need Voltage regulator For Dong Fang #3  
I can't find much on the b- model. Does it have the same Y380T engine as the d- model? If you're not sure, let me know what it says on the engine label.

Also - how many electrical contacts or posts on the OE voltage regulator?

//greg//

/ Need Voltage regulator For Dong Fang #4  
If a regulator cannot be located there are several threads on people replacing the old gen/alternator with a GM alt with built in regulator.

/ Need Voltage regulator For Dong Fang #5  
If it has the Yangdong engine,we have the voltage regulator

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Need Voltage regulator For Dong Fang #6  
JackMentink said:
I need a voltage regulator for a 2003 model Dong fang 254b tractor. It has the terra Plane name but they don't import any more. I need a voltage regulator for the uinit. I beleieve it has a yang dong engine. Any ideas where I can get one?

Jack Mentink
Rolla, MO 65401

Hi Jack,

The Chinese alternators are pretty much all the old Voltage fed field types.
The units have (3) terminals, G for ground , B for battery and F for field (armature). The regulators switch voltage not current. The windings are self exciting and have sufficiant impedence to limit current and sustain the field.
The newer regulators are current switchs and connect to (2) poles (either end of the winding). They manage field strengh with the current actively. The (2) types are NOT interchanagable. Most US cars built prior to the mid 70's had the F type alternator. Most migrated to current loop in the 80's. I believe
the regulator for a 1968 Chrysler K car will work electrically just fine. You might have to splice but anything with an "F" terminal will work on the Chinese alternators. I think the last one I bought was about $10 at Auto Zone.. If you
really really want factory I stock them but why bother...

Cheers
Graham

/ Need Voltage regulator For Dong Fang #7  
Yikes.. I see the chinese have went against decades of 'naming 'standards if they are really using this naming convention.

F or FLD pretty much universally stands for field, and is QUITE different than ARMATURE

B / BAT stands for BATTERY connection

G or GEN pretty much universally stands for GENERATOR, we now call that ARMATURE or ARM.. Some units are marked with both ARM / GEN on the same lug as they stand for the same thing.

GRND is the common reference for the ground connection.

Circuit types pretty much fall into either external field power or B circuit, or external field ground or A circuit.

In A circuit, one side of the field is tied to the armature inside the genny. The field lug on the genny is then connected to the field lug on the regulator. the regulator provides ground thru a vibrating mechanical contact and will have output voltage regulation provided thru limitation of field power. There will be a mechanical cutout inline between the ARM /BAT connection as well as current limitation built in.

In B circuit, one side of the field is tied to GROUND. The field lug on the genny is then connected to the field lug on the regulator. the regulator provides field power thru a vibrating mechanical contact and will have output voltage regulation provided thru limitation of field power. There will be a mechanical cutout inline between the ARM /BAT connection as well as current limitation built in.

Voltage regulator circuit types can be identified by looking at the bias resistors that are usually found onthe underside of the VR.

A circuit VR's will have a bias resistor between GROUND and FIELD.

B circuit VR's will have a bias resistor between ARMATURE and FIELD. ( other bias resistors may be present as well).

Some VR's can be adjusted to vary votlage output and for cut in / cut out levels with screw adjustors, others are setup by delicate and precise bending of contact arms.. pretty much a lost science these days.

Most of these mechanical regulators are semi interchangeable as long as you match system voltage and circuit type. In other words.. a B circuit 12v regulator made for a genny in many cases would run an alternator made for external field power as well, though current limitation will be incorrect based on application most likely.

Soundguy

Boltonpower said:
The Chinese alternators are pretty much all the old Voltage fed field types.
The units have (3) terminals, G for ground , B for battery and F for field (armature). Graham

/ Need Voltage regulator For Dong Fang #8  
Soundguy said:
Yikes.. I see the chinese have went against decades of 'naming 'standards if they are really using this naming convention.

F or FLD pretty much universally stands for field, and is QUITE different than ARMATURE

B / BAT stands for BATTERY connection

G or GEN pretty much universally stands for GENERATOR, we now call that ARMATURE or ARM.. Some units are marked with both ARM / GEN on the same lug as they stand for the same thing.

GRND is the common reference for the ground connection.

Circuit types pretty much fall into either external field power or B circuit, or external field ground or A circuit.

In A circuit, one side of the field is tied to the armature inside the genny. The field lug on the genny is then connected to the field lug on the regulator. the regulator provides ground thru a vibrating mechanical contact and will have output voltage regulation provided thru limitation of field power. There will be a mechanical cutout inline between the ARM /BAT connection as well as current limitation built in.

In B circuit, one side of the field is tied to GROUND. The field lug on the genny is then connected to the field lug on the regulator. the regulator provides field power thru a vibrating mechanical contact and will have output voltage regulation provided thru limitation of field power. There will be a mechanical cutout inline between the ARM /BAT connection as well as current limitation built in.

Voltage regulator circuit types can be identified by looking at the bias resistors that are usually found onthe underside of the VR.

A circuit VR's will have a bias resistor between GROUND and FIELD.

B circuit VR's will have a bias resistor between ARMATURE and FIELD. ( other bias resistors may be present as well).

Some VR's can be adjusted to vary votlage output and for cut in / cut out levels with screw adjustors, others are setup by delicate and precise bending of contact arms.. pretty much a lost science these days.

Most of these mechanical regulators are semi interchangeable as long as you match system voltage and circuit type. In other words.. a B circuit 12v regulator made for a genny in many cases would run an alternator made for external field power as well, though current limitation will be incorrect based on application most likely.

Soundguy

Wasn't thinking about conventions. Alternators output through the 3 phase stator through 3 diode pairs or half wave rectifiers and square wave into the
batteries right. The armature generates the rotating field. In the old "F"
type one side of the armature is grounded and the "F" terminal is connected to the other side. The regulator senses the battery voltage at the "B" terminal
with either a pre-set relay or a zener diode and switchs the B+ to the "F" terminal when it drops below the threshold, usually around 11 volts. On the current loop type the armature winding ends float. The regulator is current source with (4) connections. B+, G, A1 and A2. The B+ and the G bias the
current source. When the B+ drops the current source starts dumping current into one of the Armature ends, doesn't matter which way the current flows.

Graham

/ Need Voltage regulator For Dong Fang #9  
Therein lies the issue, a few terms used both for the genny and the alternator have slightly different 'common' meanings. ( and uses ).

Yes i agree with you.

Soundguy