Neutral Lock-out switch on JD 4500

/ Neutral Lock-out switch on JD 4500 #1  

Blueforester

Troubleshooting why I am having problems starting tractor. It appears that the Neutral lock-out switch is malfunctioning intermittingly. Owner's manual says to see JD dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I cannot locate this switch externally. Is it internal? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifDoes anyone know how to adjust? Where is the best source to obtain maintenace manuals? I have a little less than 400 hours and this is the first major issue I have had. Not counting the front bearings w/ little to no grease and a lot of moisture! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thanks! This is first post! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Neutral Lock-out switch on JD 4500 #2  
Welcome to TBN - You can find all kinds of tractor and related information and experience here. You can order the technical manual thru JD parts however the paper manuals are fairly pricey.

If your dealer will order the following CD, it should cost about $40-50. I ordered the CD through my local JD dealer (you can't order it via JD's 800 number). You might try a couple of dealers in case you local dealer is not accommodating. P/N is DB1481 - JD CUT Technical Manual. CD contain tech manuals for ALL of the following models:

NEW 790
990 HC
NEW 4010
4110, 4115
4200, 4300, 4400
Revised 4210, 4310, 4410

Also once you register with JD parts, you can access the parts catalog which gives provides great pictoral diagrams.

/ Neutral Lock-out switch on JD 4500 #3  
I just replaced this switch on my 4400. You can see it from under the tractor by looking up where the HST pedals move a large plate. Its a bear to replace unless you have little hands and long arms. There is access to the two small bolt heads from the right side of the tractor where you can see plate refered to above. One trick is to pull the HST forward pedal down from underneath and jam something so it can't return to the nuetral position. Both bolt heads are then more accessable from the side port. There is no adjustment to the switch but there is adjustment to the neurtal position. Before you try replacing the switch, put the gear level in its lowest position and rev the RPM's up. If the tractor does not move when both pedals are out (neutral) then it is probably the switch. Remember there are two other safety switches, the seat and the PTO. I paid about $26 for a new switch but because of the tight quarters, it took me several hous and a lot of cussing to do. Good luck!

/ Neutral Lock-out switch on JD 4500
Thanks for the replies. My 4500 is a collar shift. But I would guess that the neutral safety switch is in the same place? I checked the seat switch and it is opening and closing properly. I am now thinking that it may be one of, I think, two safety relays.
There is a white wire lead connected to the starter soleniod. Several times I checked the voltage at the lead when the key was turned to start and it had no voltage. I then wiggled the gear shift back and forth several times and I could hear some realys clicking and +12 volts would show at the terminal of the white lead, then the tractor would crank. The fuse/relay block was very dusty and dirty so pulled all the fuses and relays and cleaned everthing w/ electrical contact cleaner. It has helped some but it still will not start sometimes unless I wiggle the gear shift lever. I would like to get a wiring diagram so I better see how the safety switchs and realys are wired. Do you know if the CD version of the JD tech manual has the wiring diagrams?

/ Neutral Lock-out switch on JD 4500 #5  
I have the paper version of the tech and parts manual and they both are reasonalby good. The Tech manual has very good wiring diagrams but its not always easy to locate where some of the parts actually are located. For example, I have yet to find my PTO safety switch.

/ Neutral Lock-out switch on JD 4500 #6  
I believe your pto safety switch is on the left side of your tractor between/below the seat and the inside of the fender. The seat would probably have to be removed to access it.I do not have my parts disc in front of me ,but I had to reinstall it (switch)one time .