neutral switch

/ neutral switch #1  

aspg4

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Fergerson 135, TYM 554
Will a bad neutral switch on MF 135 cause motor to not turn over.

/ neutral switch #2  
Will a bad neutral switch on MF 135 cause motor to not turn over.
Yes more than likely. Have You tried starting it with the clutch pedal depressed? If it does start; Or turns over with the clutch pedal depressed; That would tell you the the neutral switch is either bad or it is in a stuck in position on the shifter rod. Also there could be a bad connection on the wiring.

/ neutral switch #3  
Should be able to remove the wires from the switch, touch firmly together and see if the starter will activate, or at least click.

I do have to ask if this tractor is new to you. On my 35 I thought I had the same problem, so when all else failed I got the Operators manual out. On the 35 the high-low shifter must be in neutral, not the main transmission as most all other brands. I went back out thinking it surely couldn't be that simple. Placed the high-low shifter in neutral, and it spun over like a champ. Lesson learned.

/ neutral switch
Yes more than likely. Have You tried starting it with the clutch pedal depressed? If it does start; Or turns over with the clutch pedal depressed; That would tell you the the neutral switch is either bad or it is in a stuck in position on the shifter rod. Also there could be a bad connection on the wiring.

/ neutral switch
Would not turn over with clutch depressed

/ neutral switch
Should be able to remove the wires from the switch, touch firmly together and see if the starter will activate, or at least click.

I do have to ask if this tractor is new to you. On my 35 I thought I had the same problem, so when all else failed I got the Operators manual out. On the 35 the high-low shifter must be in neutral, not the main transmission as most all other brands. I went back out thinking it surely couldn't be that simple. Placed the high-low shifter in neutral, and it spun over like a champ. Lesson learned.

/ neutral switch
I have had the tractor for about 35 years. Been good tractor. If battery is up it always starts. Took the wires to the neutral switch off and touched them together and would not make a sound.

/ neutral switch
Found the trouble. It is a bad ignition switch. Took wire off the switch and touched the wire to battery and tractor started right up.

/ neutral switch #9  
First thought after bad neutral switch, was check your ground.

I just put a new aftermarket ignition switch on my 35. Worked great 8-10 times, now intermittent. Also replaced the push button switch as the old one was rusted up and would not push in. Started it today, and after moving the key to different positions back and forth it started. Tried it again after parking it, and nothing. I'll mess with it when it's warmer, hands got cold, so quit for the day. I'll diagnose it when the temps are more favorable. I noticed when I installed the new pushbutton switch, they sure didn't use any more wire than necessary to make the connection in face it pretty tight. I think I'm going to rewire/replace all wires that are pretty taught and see what happens.

/ neutral switch #10  
Found the trouble. It is a bad ignition switch. Took wire off the switch and touched the wire to battery and tractor started right up.
Thanks for the follow up; I'm glad You found the problem. That's what I like about older tractors; It's usually something simple; & most of the time a simple fix.