New 2520 coming soon

/ New 2520 coming soon #11  
The 2011 2520 is direct injected, doesn't have injectors or glow plugs. It's all done electronically and has eliminated the need for glow plugs due to the design. If you google direct injected diesel engine you can find many websites that explain it better than me.

Congrats on your new machine! I'm waiting on one in mid July.

/ New 2520 coming soon #12  
Ok, I'm confused. I googled direct injected diesel engines and saw an article that stated that direct injected diesel engines use glow plugs in each cylinder. My 2520 has the light and starts immediately if I wait until it goes out. If I try to start it before that, the starter has to turn over several times before the engine fires up. This doesn't seem like rocket science and getting a clear answer should be easy. Guess I'll ask my dealer.

/ New 2520 coming soon #13  
Wannabe Tractor Man said:
The 2011 2520 is direct injected, doesn't have injectors or glow plugs. It's all done electronically and has eliminated the need for glow plugs due to the design. If you google direct injected diesel engine you can find many websites that explain it better than me.

Direct injection means that the fuel injector injects fuel directly into the combustion chamber, as opposed to indirect injection where a small pre-combustion chamber is used. As far as I know, the latest 2520's still use the same Yanmar 3TNV82A-BMJK engine that they have used since 2009. This variant of the 3TNV82A uses glow plugs for cold start assist.

/ New 2520 coming soon #14  
Thank you, pdp11, for your concise and direct answer. Now i know the proper starting procedure. By the way, does your handle have anything to do with the DEC minicomputer that was built back in the 70's?

/ New 2520 coming soon #15  
Hi all,
I'm new here to the site. I was just wondering if anyone knows if john deere has fixed the 3 pt arm problems they were having. I ordered mine while they were having the $2500 rebate and it is not due in until the end of July. I did not start reading about the arm rub till after i already signed the paper.

Welcome you will love the tractor. All the issues you have addressed have been fixed by design changes. If you are getting a 200cx loader or are getting a mid-mount mower (MMM) with mechanical lift (not indepedent lift) then make sure the dealer puts the rear wheels in the wide position. The loader manual says that it is recommended for stability and JD had issues with rubbing on the mower lift linkage and that was told to dealers (DTEC) to put the tires in the wide position with mechanical lift. You will find most dealers do not do this for some reason. Still your preference but I would have them wrestle with the tires verses you and the only downfall would be the valve stems will be on the inside of the tire verses the outside and this is how you can tell whether the tires are wide or narrow.

Post some pics of you putting it to work when you can.

Just to caveat on pdp11's post, the direct or indirect injection is just placement of the injector in relation to the cylinder. Injectors of either style can be mechanical or electrical and the injection pump can be either mechanical or electrical.

Your 2520 uses mechanical injectors and mechanical injection pump. The only electrical is the fuel shutoff.

2520 BMJK engines (09-current) get glow plugs and the MJKE engines (06-08) used an intake grid heater (think of it as a toater grid on steroids) for a cold starting aid.

/ New 2520 coming soon #16  
gary_dsc said:
Thank you, pdp11, for your concise and direct answer. Now i know the proper starting procedure. By the way, does your handle have anything to do with the DEC minicomputer that was built back in the 70's?

Yes, it does. I know it doesn't quite go with the theme of a tractor forum, but it's surprising how many people make the connection.

Attachments

• image-1693417779.png
    image-1693417779.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 161
   / New 2520 coming soon #17  
Is that your system? I've spent a lot of time programming pdp 8's, pdp 11's and vax's. Programming was real fun with those systems, especially the small 11's. You wrote your own O/S, drivers, etc. I miss that time a lot. Oh well, guess that doesn't have much to do with tractors.

/ New 2520 coming soon #18  
gary_dsc said:
Is that your system? I've spent a lot of time programming pdp 8's, pdp 11's and vax's. Programming was real fun with those systems, especially the small 11's. You wrote your own O/S, drivers, etc. I miss that time a lot. Oh well, guess that doesn't have much to do with tractors.

Yes, it's one one of them. That's the 11/70. I also have an 11/83, a MicroVAX 3100, and a Pro350. However, I use a simulator most of the time to save electricity :)

/ New 2520 coming soon #19  
CONGRATS!!!!!!

The tractor is a very nice size for just about most projects. It lets a person have a mower, FEL and 3 pt in one machine.