New 5045E John Deere stalls out.

/ New 5045E John Deere stalls out. #1  

Turnipfieldhand

Tractor
John Deere 5045e
Help! The dealership is working on it, but I want to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. My Deere was delivered Thursday. It had 2 hours on it. 4x4 with 240 loader. I started bogging with it that day. 3 hours later it started dying. Sometimes under load, sometimes at idle. If I let it set for a few mins, it would crank back up and go for 100 yards and die again. Sometimes the engine light would come on and the stop light. Sometimes nothing..... Just shut off. The service man came today and was convinced the fuel rail pressure sensor was bad. He replaced it and left. 20 mins. Later it was doing the same thing again. Any ideas?

/ New 5045E John Deere stalls out. #2  
Depending on how long it's been on the lot, it could have algae in the fuel or something else plugging it up. The dealers keep a tiny amount of diesel in them on the lot and that allows a ton of moisture to potentially accumulate. You could pull the line off the bottom of the tank and put a sample into a mason jar or other clean bottle and see how it looks. Not sure how it's done on a OOS. Could always pull some off of the fuel filter. Worst case, it's your dealers issue but I would check the fuel

Brett

/ New 5045E John Deere stalls out. #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

As rustyshakelford suggests, this is classic symptom of a blocked fuel line and, in my personal experience, it was biotic growth (commonly called 'algae') in my fuel tank. If you can get an inspection camera, have a look at the bottom of the fuel tank.

Enjoy the site.

/ New 5045E John Deere stalls out.
Correct. I drained at least 20 oz of water from the bottom of the tank. Has running this mixture caused any lasting damage?

/ New 5045E John Deere stalls out. #5  
Damage isn't quite the right term... but you're going to have to add a 'biocide' to your tank to kill the growth, or it's going to come back. Then, after the treatment, you'll need to drain the tank and physically wipe out the dead 'debris' so that it won't clog the system.

I used a long, mechanical, "grabber" with "J-cloths" (we call them 'CHUX") to wipe the bottom of the tank.

Prior to this I also used an Australian product called "Fuel Doctors", which not only kills the growth but breaks-down and suspends the debris (and water!) in the fuel. It then passes through the fuel system (including the fuel filter) to be burnt up in the engine. "Fuel Doctors" works in all fuels.

My tractors and 2-stroke engines run great!

Last edited:
   / New 5045E John Deere stalls out. #7  
IMG_0387.JPGIMG_0388.JPGMy 2015 5065E had a strainer attached to fuel hose fitting at tank, mine was stopped up with gel from "bio diesel", had same symptoms you described. I cleaned it twice then did away with it & replaced with inline filter I could see.

/ New 5045E John Deere stalls out. #9  
Hmmm... I wrote a lengthy post yesterday about the probability you had the 'Diesel Bug' as described by Wagtail and Rusty above - but it has not showed up after posting! Grrr :smiley_aafz:

Anyway, again, I concur - The water is the root-cause of your problem and you probably have a growth of algae in your fuel tank. The fuel tank needs to be cleaned and your fuel decontaminated of both water and any algae.

Drain all the fuel., rinse the tank and discard all contam'd fuel. (Your dealer should do this for free unless it is shown that the water is present in your bulk fuel supply and not theirs.)

The Fuel Filter element should be changed asap also.

Adding a 'Biocide' to your fuel from now on will control the bug. You can control the water by checking/draining your sediment bowl (bottom of your fuel filter) on a daily basis as necessary. Observe the fuel you drain and note any water present.

Regards,
:wrench;