New(er) TC26DA

/ New(er) TC26DA #1  

Deaf

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford New Holland
Just picked up my new(er) blue tractor a 2006 New Holland TC26DA with 333 hours. Really nice tractor, came with a 5' NH Brush mower, 6' finish mower and back blade, felt I got a good deal. Been looking to upgrade from my 1215 (17hp) and was really focused on a TC30 but could not find one in my price range also they are a tad heavier then I would like to transport to my hunting camp 2 hours away. I think the TC26DA will fit my needs. The 1215 has been a good tractor and has done everything I have asked but was a bit underpowered. Biggest complaint with it was no power steering when using the FEL.

Been reading all the old post on the TC26DA but if anyone has one has helpful hints or comments please share.

Thanks Deaf

Attachments

• IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 1,024
   / New(er) TC26DA #2  
Have the same year, same machine with same number of hours.. Love it. Don't forget if and when you add engine oil or change it, to follow the instructions in the service bulletin and add it SLOWLY.

I'm sorry I didn't buy the 6' finish mower because the 5' is great, but you can't use it in high range except on a downhill or dead level, and there is plenty of power left over in low range to drive the 6'. The ground here is uneven enough so that I couldn't go much faster anyway..

I love the tractor, but I would have thought I'd put 300 hours per year on it, but the weather just won't cooperate, especially this year, the year of the Monsoon summer here. I've been considering adding a 3pt snowthrower for the winter, but still not committed to it. If we get the amount of precipitation this winter we got in spring and fall, I'm going to wish I had it if I don't.

If you have a loader on it, be extremely careful when refueling that you either wear very old shirts or stand on the operator's platform because I have a bunch of formerly decent t-shirts with strange bullseye marks on the chest from the grease fitting on the loader.. took a while to even figure out where they were coming from. since I was paying attention to the fuel and not my shirt at the times they were imprinted.. If you operate in cold weather be sure to pop an extra fuel filter in the toolbox - in fact for all weather, because the tiny filter gets clogged very easily and it's easier to swap out and clean later than stand in the sun and roast or freeze.. Also be sure to add stuff in the winter to keep the fuel from gelling in the filter and also clean the filter out much more often than the owner's manual dictates. If you don't have a Mr. Funnel, it might be a good time to get one, to keep as much junk as possible out of the tank - maybe even drain the tank into a container and pour the contents back thru a Mr. Funnel.

Not a bad idea to keep some diesel 911 around just in case that filter clogs up with gelled fuel or ice crystals in the winter too, though if you do the above you should be ok..

Again, if you have the loader take the precaution of checking the hydraulic hoses while moving the loader from bottom to top and back and be sure they are secured with enough cable ties or whatever to keep them from being pinched. Had that happen to me and it cost in time and money. The clearances with those hoses are very tight on the 12A.

I think you're going to like the machine, but I have read bits by people who went from smaller tractors with gear trannies to this one with hydro and said they felt they weren't getting more power than from their old ones. I can't comment on the accuracy because this is the only CUT I've ever owned.

Don't forget to block the clutch if you leave the tractor unused for long periods. If the gray plastic on the sides under the levers still looks good, I'd try to put something on it to protect them. Mine lost some of their color in the sun. I put some no-wax floor stuff on 'em and they haven't gotten worse but they didn't get much better either. It's a cosmetic thing and probably no big deal if you keep the tractor indoors.

Can't think of much more.. Good luck, and enjoy the toy!

/ New(er) TC26DA #3  
That's a very nice looking tractor. Are you keeping the 1215?
I don't recall many posts about problems with the TC26 so you should have a good workhorse there. Congratulations.

/ New(er) TC26DA #4  
the new look with that frunt end is great, mine is the older look. yours will give you years of service.Good luck an congrats.
Army Grunt

/ New(er) TC26DA
Thanks for the comments guys,

MOF, that was the 1st post I read(slowly adding oil) in regards to the TC26DA and other models. Changed the oil & filter last night, removed dipstick and filled very slowly maybe 10 min(too slow??), then waited maybe 30 min before starting. Changed the fuel filter while waiting, it was dirty and full of water(1/3) so previous owner was not on top of that. Bled the fuel line and it fired right up. I still do not have a book for it so I gathered it takes about 3.4 qts for an oil change. The under hood sticker says 10w-30 or 10w-40, could not find that viscosity anywhere in diesel engine oil so went with 15w-40, I will try again and will change oil soon as I am pretty sure old owner did not change oil as required. I will run it another few hours and change again(well worth the expense).

Hydro oil is next but without a book or information I have to wait till this weekend and stop in at the HH dealer to get the oil unless someone can point me in the right direction. NAPA has the filters but were out of stock, will be in on Friday.

What's the idle speed on your tractors? Mine is just shy of 1100 rpm, seems a tad high ?

LarryD,, 1215 is for sale had an offer last night 1st guy who came but I am in no hurry and have some more people coming this weekend.

Thanks again

Deaf

/ New(er) TC26DA #6  
Deaf, the dealer here recomends the 15w-40. I do occasionally use the tractor in bitter cold weather but that's unusual - most snow storms come in relatively warm (well above zero) weather, so I don't worry about it too much. The 15w-40 is good from 10 degrees to 120 and the 10w-30 from -10 to 120 Farenheit. I might have used it at around 10, at the very lowest.

Owner's manual says 3.5 quarts with filter change..

Don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I have been tempted to put some kind of insulation over the fuel filter in very cold weather to allow more engine heat to surround the thing, like a piece of cloth or something.. seems the filter just is a little too exposed in the winter and stuff happens in it a little too frequently. Maybe I should drain my tank and run it through the Mr. Funnel, but It's been through already except for the fuel it came with in 2006. I usually switch over to the winter diesel a little late in the game too due to the lag having filled the tank, and the time between grass cutting and now removal not using the tractor that much.