Buying Advice New Farmers with orchards and implements but no tractor

/ New Farmers with orchards and implements but no tractor #11  
IMHO :2cents:- I would consider the value of the existing power and try to purchase at the lowest possible selling price. The fact you are making such a major purchase for the land, the tractors should be priced right. The 3 tractors may cost way less than 1 new one. Once you get your feet under the new business, any or all of the tractors could be sold or traded for a new unit. The used tractor market has always been good for running equipment. You may find that more than 1 tractor could save lots of time and money!

Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

/ New Farmers with orchards and implements but no tractor #12  
IMHO :2cents:- I would consider the value of the existing power and try to purchase at the lowest possible selling price. The fact you are making such a major purchase for the land, the tractors should be priced right. The 3 tractors may cost way less than 1 new one. Once you get your feet under the new business, any or all of the tractors could be sold or traded for a new unit. The used tractor market has always been good for running equipment. You may find that more than 1 tractor could save lots of time and money!

Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

I agree and would think that an older farmer wouldn't spend his hard earned money on three tractors without good reason.

/ New Farmers with orchards and implements but no tractor #13  
Advice is free and often worth every penny, but I suggest you re-think the decision about the tractor(s). As others have said, there may be valid reasons for having more than one tractor, even though it's only 9 acres. For instance, maybe some of your actual day-to-day work processes require more than one machine operating simultaneously. Also, having multiple tractors can sometimes be more productive by reducing the down-time required to change implements every time you move from one task to another.

The hours and years you mentioned should not put you off... more important to assess if they are in good working condition or not. You may be able to get all of the older units for less than one new tractor would cost. Buying new is nice, but this equipment lasts a long time and good used units may work just as well.

Your decision; just suggesting the need to think it through in some detail.

/ New Farmers with orchards and implements but no tractor #14  
The man with the most experience on that farm believed he needed three tractors.

Bruce