New Ford Transit Replacing Econoline

/ New Ford Transit Replacing Econoline #11  
:laughing:. My first van was a 1966 Econoline, 240 CID straight six, with three on the tree. I lived in it while did one lap of the USA. The outgoing Econoline was pretty long in the tooth. I think the chassis dated from 1975-ish and the body from 1992-ish.

Great memories......I bought a new stripped down Chevy van in 1974 for $3400. Straight six...and three on the tree as well. Had a double bed mattress and box spring in the back......lots of great trips. Loved that van!:thumbsup:

/ New Ford Transit Replacing Econoline #12  
Looking at the specs, I am not seeing if this is going to be rear wheel or front wheel drive like the new Promaster from Dodge. For this size of a vehicle I hope it is rear wheel. I don't see the Promaster shaking up the market but maybe I missed that on the news.

I too have had a number of vans along with some good memories, lol! Ford wise, I had a couple of second generations, a 92 Club Wagon and I currently have an 04' E-450 box. I had a 66' GMC with the engine between the seats and a 72 GMC. Also a couple of VW's but that's another thread, lol!

/ New Ford Transit Replacing Econoline #13  
Looking at the specs, I am not seeing if this is going to be rear wheel or front wheel drive like the new Promaster from Dodge. For this size of a vehicle I hope it is rear wheel. I don't see the Promaster shaking up the market but maybe I missed that on the news.

I too have had a number of vans along with some good memories, lol! Ford wise, I had a couple of second generations, a 92 Club Wagon and I currently have an 04' E-450 box. I had a 66' GMC with the engine between the seats and a 72 GMC. Also a couple of VW's but that's another thread, lol!

New Transits are RWD. Not to be confused with the little Transit Connect which is front wheel and is built in Turkey-or should I say "was" . I think Transit Connect production is being moved to Spain.

/ New Ford Transit Replacing Econoline #14  
Good to see this coming from Ford... still seems a bit early though, as they don't have much listed for real specs. Anybody heard the tow rating on the Transit diesel ?

Tom - I expect you'll have great service from your Benz; that's good mileage. Do you happen to know the tow rating on yours ?

Rgds, D.

I really dont know. I did not get it with a tow hitch as I do not intend to use it for towing. The spec book says est 3500 lbs.

/ New Ford Transit Replacing Econoline #15  

I looked at the Pro Master as well. It has some nice features and the biggest advantage is the low load hight of the back. Front wheel drive could also be a plus here in the North East with all the sloppy roads. But the deal breaker for me was the lack of legroom in the front. You have to sit in the drivers seat with your legs ( below the knees ) vertical. There is no place to stretch them out because of the FWD system. This would make for uncomfortable ,long trips.

/ New Ford Transit Replacing Econoline #16  
I really dont know. I did not get it with a tow hitch as I do not intend to use it for towing. The spec book says est 3500 lbs.

Thanks.

Rgds, D.

/ New Ford Transit Replacing Econoline #17  
I looked at the Pro Master as well. It has some nice features and the biggest advantage is the low load hight of the back. Front wheel drive could also be a plus here in the North East with all the sloppy roads. But the deal breaker for me was the lack of legroom in the front. You have to sit in the drivers seat with your legs ( below the knees ) vertical. There is no place to stretch them out because of the FWD system. This would make for uncomfortable ,long trips.
I don't go far with my E-450/V10 but put quite a few miles on my 92 Clubwagon. Being a bit on the "leggy" side myself, I could always find a comfortable position.