New front tires for GC1720

/ New front tires for GC1720 #1  

Fiziksgeek

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720
I run turf tires on my GC1720. I've had some problems recently. I had a slow leak in one of the fronts. I was ignoring it, but then I ran over something and popped the other front good and proper. I brought both to a tire shop and they patched them. Not a week later, either I ran over something else, or one of the patches let go. I brought it to a different shop and they recommended a tube. I had them put tubes in both front tires while I was at it. Well, yesterday, I hit something, and one flattened in just a couple minutes. I have no idea what I keep running over, but I am not sure what to do at this point.

1. Get it patched or put in a new tube?
2. Buy a brand new turf tire?
3. But new tire with a different tread and/or heavier ply (if I can find them)?

Whatever I am doing, its always the front, which is good, because the rears are filled with rimguard. Anyone have advice? Needs to be turf friendly.

/ New front tires for GC1720 #2  
I run turf tires on my GC1720. I've had some problems recently. I had a slow leak in one of the fronts. I was ignoring it, but then I ran over something and popped the other front good and proper. I brought both to a tire shop and they patched them. Not a week later, either I ran over something else, or one of the patches let go. I brought it to a different shop and they recommended a tube. I had them put tubes in both front tires while I was at it. Well, yesterday, I hit something, and one flattened in just a couple minutes. I have no idea what I keep running over, but I am not sure what to do at this point.

1. Get it patched or put in a new tube?
2. Buy a brand new turf tire?
3. But new tire with a different tread and/or heavier ply (if I can find them)?

Whatever I am doing, its always the front, which is good, because the rears are filled with rimguard. Anyone have advice? Needs to be turf friendly.

Flat tires will drive you crazy. I would buy a new r4 tire if you can find one that is the same size. It will be more puncture proof.

/ New front tires for GC1720
Flat tires will drive you crazy. I would buy a new r4 tire if you can find one that is the same size. It will be more puncture proof.

Not thrilled about that idea, but understand I might not have any other options... I mow and blow snow, and the turfs have been gentle on the lawn and provide good traction. Ideally I like to locate a turf tire, or something like it, with more plys.

/ New front tires for GC1720 #4  
Not thrilled about that idea, but understand I might not have any other options... I mow and blow snow, and the turfs have been gentle on the lawn and provide good traction. Ideally I like to locate a turf tire, or something like it, with more plys.

Fiziks,

I agree with you that a turf tire is not only good on lawns but its excellent for traction on snow and ice. But a couple of thoughts only based on my own experiences. I've only had a flat develop 1 time in the 3 years I've had my GC1715 - and that one was not because of puncture but because of a side hit on concrete which caused the seal to break loose. But when I took it off before I even took it in - I ran my finger around the entire seal area both inside and outside. Then I knew where I was at :)

The service place agreed with my thinking - and checked for any visible punctures and then blew it back up but at my suggestion we used a slight amount of sealing fluid on both sides of the rim and I had a new stem installed - just in case.

I'm not a fan of inner tubes on scut units. I used them often on wheelbarrows and moving carts - but both of those types are thin rubber so the inner tube helped. But a good quality turf tire like the oem's on my GC - have not been a puncture problem. I do stay away from bushhogged areas that don't have stumps of big brush or small trees cut down to ground level - because those area can often be very sharp stump edges.

IT always seems to me that the two biggest issues with tires is not punctures - buy sealing to the rims or value stems as both situations are more prone to issues you can't see as driving. The fact your front tires are your issue seems to indicate 1 of those two issues is your problem and not the rubber tread condition. However - the inner tube can compound your problem because its yet another valve stem issue of quality - and all your tire is doing is protecting from puncture. Mean time the inner tube is free to move/slide/shift around inside the tire and can allow sand, grit or dirt to get inside the tire besides.

Personally I think going to a different type of tread concept will compound what is already working for you.

Finally - my tractor is exposed to sun and winter all year long - so weathering seems unlikely as an issue. However - any chance your tire/tires were "aged" before they were ever installed or if there is any salt corrosion on the inside of your rim seal areas that was originally started before the unit was sold?

(I assume you are not under filling or over filling tire pressures).

jmho

/ New front tires for GC1720
Well, you can see here what the problem was.
IMG_3433.jpg

In the end, I took the path of least resistance and just put on a new set of the Carlisle multitrack c/s, which is what thy come with. I talked with the local tire shop about set of 6ply turf tires that Kenda makes. He didn't seem to think it would really make a difference.

/ New front tires for GC1720 #6  
I have a SafetySeal plug kit. Only had one flat so far, front tire also, and a plug fixed it in minutes. Of course plugs won’t work on wider slices or gashes, only punctures.