Price Check New guy meets GC2310 Aux Hydraulic pump failure for first time - Topic Update

/ New guy meets GC2310 Aux Hydraulic pump failure for first time - Topic Update #1  

pcwolf

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2310
Greetings, All

As I mentioned in my "Introduction" post, I just signed for a 2005 GC2310 from a private owner. Complete with loader, backhoe, but no belly mower. Engine, paint, and electrical intact with no signs of "field maintenance" and paid $10.5k with 509 hours. I had inspected a half-dozen other brands offered by private parties local to me and both those with/without backhoe in my price range were rode very hard and put up wet. Thanks to all the reviews here I felt this was a solid package at a fair price.

After writing the check I had a sleepless night of course wondering "What have I done?" Came back here and *really* read the posts started by hknapp about premature failure of the aux hydro pump. OMG the seller must have seen this NOOB coming a mile off! Wondered how long he would have to flog this bomb waiting to explode before they found me, The Fool! :D Scared myself stupid overnight about how much more money this one was going to cost me and if I should have just gone with payments on $18,000 for a new GC1710. Soon as business opened I called both M-F dealers each an hour away and asked service if 1) they had heard about this problem on a thirteen year old tractor, and 2) would they suggest doing a premature replacement and what would that cost?

Selling dealer service desk got huge marks by being honest: "We haven't been a dealer all that long, actually." Guy researched and by the afternooon found there is a M-F TSB on the pump, and sheepishly admitted repair was expensive, their shop could do the work for ~$2500

Second dealer service mechanic with 40 years M-F experience: Finished my sentence for me, "yeah, the pump spline shaft shears off." Estimated $1500 repair cost.

BOTH agreed that the thing for me to do is to run it until it fails. A LOT of tractors written about here have failed with between 250-750 hours, but I wonder about all the GC2310 still running fine we never hear about. Some posters here mentioned "thousands and thousands of dollars" and someone $6000 for cost of repair, but those posts are all from around 2008-2012.

My Serial is JPA-20275. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the service manual split between pre-JNA and post-JNA was for an updated pump! Maybe I'll get lucky.

I am going to run it until (if) it breaks. The estimated cost of repair is not excessive in my opinion for the tractor I am getting. Wish me luck!

-Phil
Tidewater Virginia

/ New guy meets GC2310 Aux Hydraulic pump failure for first time - Topic Update #2  
Its a great tractor

/ New guy meets GC2310 Aux Hydraulic pump failure for first time - Topic Update #3  
I had exact same model and power/feature wise it was a very good machine. Then the hydraulic pump went out...not really! I traded it in for a larger machine.

You already bought it so enjoy it just as dealers said. Even if a pump would go out with the quote you've received you'll still be $5k less than a new one. At some point you will put some money in it for something. As a side point, if you've run it hard enough with no leaks that is good sign for now. Even if it does leak sometimes it's a very simple fix.

Keep an eye on the hydraulic cooling fan under the tractor and make sure it does not get damaged.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the tractor!

/ New guy meets GC2310 Aux Hydraulic pump failure for first time - Topic Update #4  
If it hasn't failed at 500 hrs it probably never will. Also, can't imagine anyone charging $2000 to repair that with out going to jail - even $2000 is pretty steep.

/ New guy meets GC2310 Aux Hydraulic pump failure for first time - Topic Update
Thanks for the friendly replies and advice. I will update as my experience progresses.

The repairs quoted include losing the bearing inside the transmission case, then having to disassemble to fish it out and replace.

/ New guy meets GC2310 Aux Hydraulic pump failure for first time - Topic Update #6  
Greetings, All

As I mentioned in my "Introduction" post, I just signed for a 2005 GC2310 from a private owner. Complete with loader, backhoe, but no belly mower. Engine, paint, and electrical intact with no signs of "field maintenance" and paid $10.5k with 509 hours. I had inspected a half-dozen other brands offered by private parties local to me and both those with/without backhoe in my price range were rode very hard and put up wet. Thanks to all the reviews here I felt this was a solid package at a fair price.

After writing the check I had a sleepless night of course wondering "What have I done?" Came back here and *really* read the posts started by hknapp about premature failure of the aux hydro pump. OMG the seller must have seen this NOOB coming a mile off! Wondered how long he would have to flog this bomb waiting to explode before they found me, The Fool! :D Scared myself stupid overnight about how much more money this one was going to cost me and if I should have just gone with payments on $18,000 for a new GC1710. Soon as business opened I called both M-F dealers each an hour away and asked service if 1) they had heard about this problem on a thirteen year old tractor, and 2) would they suggest doing a premature replacement and what would that cost?

Selling dealer service desk got huge marks by being honest: "We haven't been a dealer all that long, actually." Guy researched and by the afternooon found there is a M-F TSB on the pump, and sheepishly admitted repair was expensive, their shop could do the work for ~$2500

Second dealer service mechanic with 40 years M-F experience: Finished my sentence for me, "yeah, the pump spline shaft shears off." Estimated $1500 repair cost.

BOTH agreed that the thing for me to do is to run it until it fails. A LOT of tractors written about here have failed with between 250-750 hours, but I wonder about all the GC2310 still running fine we never hear about. Some posters here mentioned "thousands and thousands of dollars" and someone $6000 for cost of repair, but those posts are all from around 2008-2012.

My Serial is JPA-20275. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the service manual split between pre-JNA and post-JNA was for an updated pump! Maybe I'll get lucky.

I am going to run it until (if) it breaks. The estimated cost of repair is not excessive in my opinion for the tractor I am getting. Wish me luck!

-Phil
Tidewater Virginia
If you do the job premature, you only need the gear and not a new pump. That could knock the price in half and give you piece of mind.

/ New guy meets GC2310 Aux Hydraulic pump failure for first time - Topic Update #7  
I have an 05 GC2310 with 1800+ hrs and knock on wood , no problems p.s. hydraulic oil and filter changed every 250 hrs. engine oil and filter every 100 hrs

/ New guy meets GC2310 Aux Hydraulic pump failure for first time - Topic Update #8  
1800 hours :) Mine is still brand new then at 220 hours and 8 years old. By my calculations my tractor will have 1800 hours in ohhhhhh 60 years? I need to get moving.

/ New guy meets GC2310 Aux Hydraulic pump failure for first time - Topic Update #9  
i doubt the pump is rebuildable. I can supply most hydraulic pumps for around $500

/ New guy meets GC2310 Aux Hydraulic pump failure for first time - Topic Update #10  
i doubt the pump is rebuildable. I can supply most hydraulic pumps for around $500
Can you supply pump parts? Say a new AND Longer Shaft for the pump that comes out of the GC2310?
Its a Shimadzu GPY10R708. KYB also makes a replacement with a 3/8" longer shaft (KP05106CSSS)
but I need at least a 1/2" longer shaft.

Attachments

• PXL_20240107_225701196.jpg
    PXL_20240107_225701196.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23