New Holland 1620 - steering cylinder rebuild kit questions

/ New Holland 1620 - steering cylinder rebuild kit questions #1  

GroundLoop

Tractor
New Holland 1620, Kubota zd-331, and Yarman RZT-50
Have a 1620 purchased in 1996. Has 335 hours on the clock and the steering cylinder just started seeping from the seal. Looked on Messicks and was shocked at the price for the rebuild kit. If I just have a very slight seep when running. Is there just one part it is likely to be or do I need the full kit.

Noticed CompactTractorParts has it for about 1/3 the price. Power Steering Cylinder Seal Kit - SBA344960440 - New Holland Compact Tractor Parts Always question when one place has the same part for FAR less than a known reputable place. Is CompactTractorParts a good place to buy from?

/ New Holland 1620 - steering cylinder rebuild kit questions #2  
The oem kits are always expensive. What usually causes the leak is the rod wiper and rod seal have worn/deteriorated.

I bought some engine parts for a Challenger/Iseki from Compact Tractor Parts and I was very pleased.
Less expensive, fast service.

Last edited:
   / New Holland 1620 - steering cylinder rebuild kit questions #3  
Ask a local hydraulics shop. May be inexpensive way to go. Please post what you find out. Thanks

/ New Holland 1620 - steering cylinder rebuild kit questions
Finally started this. I called a few hydraulic repair places. Cost to replace the seals was around $250 - $350. A new cylinder from Messick's is $889.

I bought the seal repair kit and took it apart today. First thing I noticed is the piston is bent. It rubs up against the front axle housing when turned all the way to the left. I can fix that by adjusting the steering bumpers. Can the piston be straightened or do I need a new one. If you run your fingers over the area where it is bent you can feel some slight irregularities. I would think that could cause a leak? Also the new seal is larger than the opening in the cylinder cap. Would need a very small amount of machining to the inside of the cylinder cap to fit the new seal in.

Are there any after market cylinders that could be used?

Attachments

• 20240225_150531.jpg
    20240225_150531.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240225_150512.jpg
    20240225_150512.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 23
   / New Holland 1620 - steering cylinder rebuild kit questions #5  
Wow! And you didn't see that before you took it apart?

/ New Holland 1620 - steering cylinder rebuild kit questions
It was not noticeable until I looked closely at it. Needs to be fixed so just continued the disassembly.