New Holland 56 rake?

/ New Holland 56 rake? #11  
About grease in the gearbox on these rakes...I bought a NH256 last year, and the fellow I got it from rebuilt the gearbox just before I picked it up, and I'm sure he put only gear oil in it. (Has run fantastic--much better than the DaRos tedder I got that had committed suicide, but is feeling much better now $250 later.) So, I read in this post some recommendations to run grease in the gearbox, or mix grease and oil 50/50, and a comment about the shop manual warning against gear oil...so what is the consensus exactly? Anyone have the shop manual, and what does it say?

I'm left thinking I should drain the gear oil out and replace it with some grease one way or the other.

New Holland recommends grease in these gearboxes, and has for years. If you have gear oil in yours and it is staying in the box where it belongs, don't panic. The ONLY reason for the change of recommended lube is because of chronic leakage of gear oil. You can continue to use gear oil, or if you prefer, drain it and fill with grease. Or a combination of the two.

There is no published "shop manual" for the rake, only an operator's manual.

/ New Holland 56 rake? #12  
Great older rake, with rake teeth readily available. Only problem with these rakes (and its not really a problem) is the bearing on the tine bar. Most of these rakes still has the original bearing. You can find this bearing at some ag stores for $34 to as much as $59. If you need this bearing or teeth for this rake, I can supply them. The bearings are $17.25 ea.

I am so happy to see people using older equipment, they seem to have been built better in those days.