New Kubota BX2230 engine?

/ New Kubota BX2230 engine? #1  

akoliver

So I have a BX2230 from 2004. I do all the regular maintenance on it, and it only has run about 600 hours. The majority of the hours are from mowing, but I have pushed a fair amount of dirt and rock as well.

It's always run hot, but I didn't realize how hot (because the thermostat was apparently broken) until I overheated it pretty bad a few years back. Had $1800 worth of engine rebuild done at the local Kubota franchise to try and make it right. It still ran hot, but they said that's the best they could do for my budget. It's had a noticeable loss of power and has leaked coolant ever since, but at a manageable level (I'd add a pint of coolant once a month) and I ran it for another 5 years with several other issues - non engine related. I also change the oil about every 20 hours now. It's pretty contaminated, but no metal to the naked eye.

I refuse to take it back to the Kubota store for anything because they've given me some bad advice in the past and I don't think they do good maintenance work. So I finally took it to a diesel engine guy to address the coolant leak (thinking it's a head gasket issue). After another 700ish in parts, labor and machining, it looks like the problem is deeper with a problem in the block somewhere.
Now I'm considering a total engine replacement. I've seen Kubota engines online and of course am considering all my options. As it stands now, they have no idea how much it will cost to repair since they don't know what's wrong. I'm not a big fan of open ended repairs jobs.

Will any other Kubota engine match up with the BX2230 besides the D-902?
Anyone have a total engine replacement story to share?
Any recommendations on places that sell rebuilds?

Thanks. Not sure this is the route I'll take, but I'm just tired of the relentless engine problems.

/ New Kubota BX2230 engine? #2  
The D902 s a very common and popular engine used in numerous commercial applications. There are many rebuilders out there that stock the D902. While the internals are pretty much standard, there are individual configurations to fit particular installations. Typically a complete rebuilt engine goes for $3,500 - 4,000.

Hope you have success finding and installing a good engine in your BX.