New lights and a question

/ New lights and a question #1  

dylan

Gold Member
Tractor
Toolcat B series
I installed some new LED lights on the back so people can see me easier for braking and turning. My rear blade hides the existing ones. They just plug into the trailer wiring harness for quick removal. I also removed the rear tailgate for better visability to the rear blade.

How effective do you guys find "float" mode to be when pushing the snowblower? Mine seems to take quite a bit of effort to shove forward. It really tears up the road surface as well. Any opinions?

I also installed a clipboard so I can keep map of my route handy.

here are some pics.
dylan

Attachments

• Picture 421.jpg
    Picture 421.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Picture 422.jpg
    Picture 422.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 188
   / New lights and a question #2  
I have no experience with blowers, but it might be helpful to know if you are using the shoes to keep the blower from dragging?

jmf

/ New lights and a question #3  
according to my bobcat salesman and head of service using the float mode for going FORWARD is debated at bobcat. the service manager uses it, the saleman does not. those against its use claim it was developed for back-dragging only.

Dylan - i sent you a PM

thx,
ts

/ New lights and a question
I tried it with and without shoes, set high and at the lowest setting.
Float mode just feels un-natural with this machine. The blower feels really heavy and like an anchor out front. The float setting on my John Deere tractors feels natural and the bucket floats up and down as I drive along.

Going backwards is not going to work too well ...

Any other guys with a season or two under their belts have any thoughts or insight as to how you are running the blower?

I don't mind not using float but any uneven spots get missed or the blower just tears up the pavement.

/ New lights and a question #5  
dylan said:
Any other guys with a season or two under their belts have any thoughts or insight as to how you are running the blower?

I don't mind not using float but any uneven spots get missed or the blower just tears up the pavement.

Dylan,

I have two "B" series with blowers. I/We use them in "float" mode and have not had a problem with performance or damage. The float mode is to prevent damage as you cover uneven or changing elevations. Both blowers have shoes. I did notice when first using the blowers that I had the blowers angled down more sharply than was needed. That may be the issue. I think it was a "mind & optical" thing. Try setting the blower level with the cutting edge in the correct position and then use the shute as a reference. I know that in previous units (loaders) there was always a bucket indicator as a reference which the Toolcats do not have.

Tim

Thanks
I'll do some more testing today at the local hockey rink. I don't want to get caught when we actually get some snow here.
Dylan

/ New lights and a question #7  
Dylan,

If you were in BC you would be getting some real life experience with that blower assuming you could get it started in the -40 wind chill.

dsb

No kidding. It won't be long till it gets here.

Well, i figured out the problem with the float mode. The cutting edge was mounted upside down and instead of gliding along, it just dug right into the pavement making it difficult to push along. I knew something did not feel right.
I flipped it the other way, changed the attack angle and had smooth sailing. Must have been an off day at the factory.

cheers Dylan