New oil / filters in lawn mower (now or just before spring mowing season??)

/ New oil / filters in lawn mower (now or just before spring mowing season??) #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Believe it or not, here in Texas I still have some green grass in my yard and it looks a little "ragged" Im going to mow it one last time and then put the mower up for the season. Question is :

1) Do I perform full service now, or wait until spring just before mowing season starts again?

BTW my mower is a Dixie Chopper zero turn and its about time for a full service.

/ New oil / filters in lawn mower (now or just before spring mowing season??) #2  
If you've had a season of mowing, you've built up acid and various byproducts in the oil. Along with that, the additives have depleted to some degree. Change now because you don't want that stuff reacting with the engine. It isn't a big issue, but fresh oil is the best for storage.

I agree 100%. I do mine on a cold rainy or snow day. Do the oil change, check and clean the air filters, check hydro levels, run around it with a grease gun, sharpen the blades, inspect the battery, wash it off or at least blow it off to prevent mice from using the clippings as nesting and put it away.

Now you are ready for spring. There is always plenty to do then and the last thing you want to be doing is catch up.

Chris

/ New oil / filters in lawn mower (now or just before spring mowing season??) #3  
When we lived in MN and our summer equipment was "laid up" for greater than 5 months, we chaned in the fall AND spring. This is because oil and fuel absorb moisture from the atmosphere and degrade over time. We did not change the filters in the spring.

Most equipment should be serviced every 6 months or sooner, with the occasional one annually - follow your manufacturer's suggested intervals.

Now that we are in TX and use our lawn equipment almost year-round, we change by the hour meter only. On those we do lay-up for a short time, we service before lay-up only to remove the accululated acids and contaminates.