New operator, owner, and forum posting

/ New operator, owner, and forum posting #1  

310-510

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HC, Kubota BX24
The new BX24 is getting close to having 50 hours, plenty of dirt, a few scratches, and slowly I'm getting more comfortable on the seat (especially the new seat).

TBN and its' vast knowledge base helped make the decision about the tractor make, model and implements go pretty smooth. It didn't take very long to determine that my local dealer could benefit from reading these forums.

Being an amputee limits my ability to use a shovel, so the BX24 is like having a shovel and a wheelbarrow without the investment of sweat. More modifications to the tractor will be done over time to make the tractor fully wheelchair accessible. Full remote control would be nice. That way I could sit in the house sipping a beer, look out the window, and still get the yard work done. There's not much worse than being 300 yards from home, get stuck (not with the BX24 yet) and not having crutches with me. :eek:

The list of attachments in order of most used are:
1. Ripper (the BEST investment), Bro-Tek Shield, Thumb
2. Custom built bucket forks
3. Top n Tilt
4. Drawbar
5. 3ph Pallet Forks
6. Land Pride 48" Rake with wheels
7. Land Pride 48" BB
8. 3ph Single Shank Ripper Tooth
100. Land Pride Quick Hitch (will be eliminated as soon as Pat's Easy Change arrives)

Now if I can just figure out where to mount crutch holders, wheelchair rack, and small toolbox,

The modification most wanted at this time is placing a seat lower and off the passenger side of the tractor allowing me to both drive the tractor and pick weeds from the yard. Maybe mounted off the 3ph for height control.

And of course, there are plenty of rocks on my small piece of earth.
TBNcarsceArizonaRocks.jpg

/ New operator, owner, and forum posting #2  
Hi Carsce

Welcome. You have a great tractor there. Glad to see your having fun. Maybe you could put a hanger on the ROPS to hold your cruthces. I spent time on my tractor when I had a broken angle and bungeed the crutches on the ROPS.

Playing with the BX beats the heck out of sitting around though. Good luck.

/ New operator, owner, and forum posting #3  
How are you dealing with the backhoe? I find it hard enough turning the seat and getting into it without being disabled. Is there a mod to the seating system available that permits you to rotate the seat from a sitting position?

/ New operator, owner, and forum posting
richardbro said:
How are you dealing with the backhoe? I find it hard enough turning the seat and getting into it without being disabled. Is there a mod to the seating system available that permits you to rotate the seat from a sitting position?

On small backhoe jobs, I just turn me around in the seat, lean my chest against the back of the seat, and proceed. This position is handy and faster to transition back to driving. Using the backhoe for longer periods( more than 15 or 20 minutes), "sitting" on the steering wheel allows me to balance and spin the seat around. I always get into the seat for backhoe work from the tractor end, not the backhoe steps.

The bottom of the new seat is almost level and makes operating the backhoe with the seat facing the wrong direction much more comfortable than the old sloped seat (that I would slide out of).

What I wouldn't give for an electric seat that would rise, spin, then lower. That would make life simpler. Before I modify the seat, a hand operated differential lock is higher on the priority list. Maybe next week that issue will be solved. Suggestions are always welcome. :confused:

ccsial said:
Hi Carsce

Welcome. You have a great tractor there. Glad to see your having fun. Maybe you could put a hanger on the ROPS to hold your cruthces. I spent time on my tractor when I had a broken angle and bungeed the crutches on the ROPS.

Playing with the BX beats the heck out of sitting around though. Good luck.

Thanks, You are right. Even 1 hour outside on the BX breaks up the doldrums of the many hours in my "cave" buried in computer "stuff".

I thought about attaching to the ROPS but am still evaluating options. Bungies, or any other hasp, clasp, hook, fastener, etc that occupies time to use, is not on my favorite item list. The forearm crutches I use need to be hung more like a broom. For now, they just sit between the PTO levers.

/ New operator, owner, and forum posting #6  
carsce said:
BX-24, Land Pride Rake(w/ wheels), LP BB , Pallet Forks, Ripper, Custom bucket forks, Top n Tilt, Bro-Tek skid plate, ripper tooth, thumb, and more..

You ain't as new as the thread title makes you sound :D Welcome!

/ New operator, owner, and forum posting #7  
Hi Carsce,

Welcome aboard TBN :)

carsce said:
Now if I can just figure out where to mount crutch holders, wheelchair rack, and small toolbox View attachment 86437

Have a look at this tool box, it may work for you.

BXToolbox2.jpg

Keep us posted on the work that you're doing on the BX.

Richard

Thanks for the idea and example. Great toolbox and location! I had not thought about the front end for a location. I should be able to get to building a toolbox later next week. This week is tied up putting in a 4' x 100' stackable block wall. The groundwork is almost done and the blocks are due in Friday. After that project is done, it's back to the modifying.

/ New operator, owner, and forum posting #9  
carsce said:
I thought about attaching to the ROPS but am still evaluating options. Bungies, or any other hasp, clasp, hook, fastener, etc that occupies time to use, is not on my favorite item list. The forearm crutches I use need to be hung more like a broom. For now, they just sit between the PTO levers.

What about some of those 'snap-in clips'... couldn't find a good pic anywhere but they are sort of U shaped with a screw hole in the bottom.

/ New operator, owner, and forum posting #10  
Congratulations on the new purchase! It's a fantastic machine. As for your backhoe operation where you just spin yourself around, make sure you're careful that you're not doing this in a place where the tractor has any chance of rolling, since I assume you're not wearing the seatbelt when you're backwards.

Where'd you get your top n tilt? I didn't realize anyone makes one that fit nicely on a BX.