New Pole Shed - Lintel Question

/ New Pole Shed - Lintel Question #1  

Luremaker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18
I am finalizing the plans for my new 36x48x12 pole shed. I need help determining the required post sizes (ie. 6x6, 6x8 8x8) and lintel beam to run above the 12' wide overhead doors. The roof is engineered trusses on 4' c/c, pitch is 4/12, and finished with 29ga high rib steel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shop-Views_1.jpg
    Shop-Views_1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,205
   / New Pole Shed - Lintel Question #2  
You might be able to find out by looking up a pole building mfg's site and see what they use on a building of the same approximate size.

M.D.

Last edited:
   / New Pole Shed - Lintel Question
Got it all figured out based on local snow loads, winds etc. Now to price the required steel beams.

/ New Pole Shed - Lintel Question #4  
I used doubled 2x12s (glued and nailed) to span 14 ft in my 20x28 ft pole shed. Posts are 4x6 PT. I like to paint the parts before installation.

DSCF0090 (Small).JPGDSCF0196 (Small).JPG

/ New Pole Shed - Lintel Question
I used doubled 2x12s (glued and nailed) to span 14 ft in my 20x28 ft pole shed. Posts are 4x6 PT. I like to paint the parts before installation.

View attachment 228856View attachment 228857

I had an engineer calculate the requirements yesterday. We have huge snow loads in this area. I also wanted it to support non-windswept unbalanced snow loads along with the possibility of adding insulation in the future. Remember the span is 36'.

/ New Pole Shed - Lintel Question #6  
Looks like you got it figured out and checked by an engineer so you be good to go.

In case anyone else runs into needing something like this worked out often lumber yards have load tables for all types and sizes of material. They give you span information based on loads, attachment points and types, basically everything you'd need to know.

Another source is that if you a buying trusses the truss company engineers will often give you an engineered certificate for other parts of the structure for free.

One last source is a school. They give the problem to students to work out and then the engineer teaching the course will sign off on the plans.

Hope this helps somebody.

Mr. HE:cool: