New Seat installation

/ New Seat installation #1  

pax

Tractor
IH 784
I have a 1983 IH 784 tractor that needs it's seat replaced. (the cushioning is gone and when I got it off the seat pan is in terrible condition) It is a fairly small seat, 19x18x10 (WxLxH) and the bolt hole pattern is not one that I have seen on any replacement seats either locally or online. 4.75" x 8", 4 bolt pattern.

My question is how hard is it to put new threaded anchors in a seat such as this one from Northern Tool? Northern Industrial Deluxe Universal Tractor Seat Black | Seats | Northern Tool + Equipment

And how would a guy go about doing it? Do I just drill a hole a tack weld a nut in place on the inside somehow? Or are there threaded bushings that press or weld into a carefully drilled hole?

Any pointers would be great.

Pax

/ New Seat installation #2  
If you have a Princess Auto near you they regularly have tractor seats on sale in a variety of configurations. ( not a plug but I think they have five in Alberta) Lots of the universal ones have multiple mounting holes. If you have a chance go to the store and see them and that way you can also check out multiple ways to mount it. You could check the mounting dimensions with them over the phone as well

/ New Seat installation
studor said:
If you have a Princess Auto near you they regularly have tractor seats on sale in a variety of configurations. ( not a plug but I think they have five in Alberta) Lots of the universal ones have multiple mounting holes. If you have a chance go to the store and see them and that way you can also check out multiple ways to mount it. You could check the mounting dimensions with them over the phone as well

Studor, thanks for the idea. I have already checked out my princess auto with a tape measure in hand :D and have not found anything that is even close to the mount pattern of my seat. Also checked out peavey mart and as many dealerships as possible. Nothing close so far

I guess that's why the question on how to make new mount points in a seat.

Anyone know about these rivet inserts? Will they mount/rivet into the thin (3/32" or so) metal of a seat pan?
NEW THREADED INSERT RIVET NUT INSTALLATION KIT - eBay

Thanks
Pax

/ New Seat installation #4  

Those are called Riv-nuts. They are used for putting threads in thin materials when you only have access to one side (as in the bottom of the new seat pan). You could also use Wel-nuts. These are rubber w a steel insert and don't need a special tool to install. Being rubber, they are commonly used to isolate vibration.

You should be able to get either one fr McMaster-Carr.

/ New Seat installation
Danno1 said:

Those are called Riv-nuts. They are used for putting threads in thin materials when you only have access to one side (as in the bottom of the new seat pan). You could also use Wel-nuts. These are rubber w a steel insert and don't need a special tool to install. Being rubber, they are commonly used to isolate vibration.

You should be able to get either one fr McMaster-Carr.

Dan,
Thanks that is exactly what I am looking for and needed to know. Now I don't need to stress about an exact match.

Pax

/ New Seat installation #6  
The other thing you can do is mount the seat to a plate then mount the plate to the holes -- if you use quarter plate you can thread the holes:) The seat might be a little higher whuich might not be a bad thing:D