New Snow Blade

/ New Snow Blade #21  
I'll rig some wear plates to the bottom of the carrier (part that mounts to the loader frame) and use the loader's float.

Not sure why your carrier would drag if you're in float. The blade would be on the ground, not the carrier. The carrier is held in place by the bucket curl function of the loader, the float is on the lift arms.

In theory if you switch your hoses on the quick disconnects for the loader valve so the functions are reversed (bucket curl becomes loader lift and loader lift becomes bucket curl) then you could use what would normally be the loader float function to float the bucket instead which would keep the lift arm weight on your front wheels and still allow the plow some up and down movement. Then your normal curl function would lift and lower the loader arms.

/ New Snow Blade
Not sure why your carrier would drag if you're in float. The blade would be on the ground, not the carrier. The carrier is held in place by the bucket curl function of the loader, the float is on the lift arms.

In theory if you switch your hoses on the quick disconnects for the loader valve so the functions are reversed (bucket curl becomes loader lift and loader lift becomes bucket curl) then you could use what would normally be the loader float function to float the bucket instead which would keep the lift arm weight on your front wheels and still allow the plow some up and down movement. Then your normal curl function would lift and lower the loader arms.

On my 4520 (and my previous Deere tractors...this is my 4th), loader float puts the loader arms to the ground (actually, the stops) if a bucket or anything is mounted on the frame. It's no big problem...I'll figure something out and report it later.

/ New Snow Blade #23  
As others have indicated, you are not going to have good success from floating the loader with a front blade. It is too much weight and the blade will catch on every little thing and lift the front wheels. BTDT I sold that one as it was very difficult to use. Unless your driveway is very planar and does not change much, you can't really use the loader manually very well either. Too fussy to keep it in contact for any length of time. I am now convinced that the way to do this is to make it like a truck plow with the blade hanging from a chain so you float only the blade. But i have been debating as to whether i should make a new front blade or do a rotary broom. The broom may be better for the bulk of the snows we get.

/ New Snow Blade #24  

Hmmm....”that sounds crazy enough that it just might work!”

Now we just have to wait 3-1/2 months for Roy to test his set up. Or Think Snow!

/ New Snow Blade #25  
Roy, I didn't think I had any pictures of my friends snow plow that I mounted last year. I do have some and here they are. He brought it back this spring and I mounted the larger shoes on the blade. They were approx 8" round before. He has gravel driveways. Just for reference.

20170614_105316.jpg20170614_105332_001.jpg20170614_105337_001.jpg