New snow plow - one end higher than the other - is this normal?

/ New snow plow - one end higher than the other - is this normal? #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
I purchased a Massey Ferguson 60" snow plow blade for my GC1705. Unfortunately, it came only as parts and required full assembly (a bit surprised, actually)

After getting it all together and mounted on the tractor, I learned that one end of the snow plow is about 1.5" higher than the other end. This seems to remedy itself when in the float mode. I was hoping to keep the use of it for pushing around dirt, etc -- and was thinking I would not have to float it for it to be level. Is this normal?

Also, noticed that the manual angling pins are off by a little bit. For me, it won't make a big difference, because I am using the hydraulic angling kit, but curious if this is common?
I_20170402_007_tractor_snow_plow.jpg
I_20170402_006_tractor_snow_plow.jpg

/ New snow plow - one end higher than the other - is this normal? #2  
OK - I have no knowledge of your snow plow but lets start from the beginning. What did you have on the FEL arms to begin with - a bucket? Do you remember if the bucket sat level? If it was, then you know that the way you assembled or attached the plow is the problem. Go back thru the assembly/attachment procedures and be certain you followed each step correctly.

If all this seems to be correct - give the company that sold you the unit a call and see what they have to say. Anything out of whack with the plow should be able to be corrected with simple adjustments. It could be as simple as setting the plow on the ground, loosening a couple bolts to let the plow "touch down" and retightening the bolts.

Last edited:
   / New snow plow - one end higher than the other - is this normal? #3  
OK - I have no knowledge of your snow plow but lets start from the beginning. What did you have on the FEL arms to begin with - a bucket? Do you remember if the bucket sat level? If it was, then you know that the way you assembled or attached the plow is the problem. Go back thru the assembly/attachment procedures and be certain you followed each step correctly.

If all this seems to be correct - give the company that sold you the unit a call and see what they have to say. Anything out of whack with the plow should be able to be corrected with simple adjustments. It could be as simple as setting the plow on the ground, loosening a couple bolts to let the plow "touch down" and retightening the bolts.

This doesn't sit on the FEL arms, it attaches to the tractor's sub frame so if the tractor is sitting level, the plow frame should be level, and the blade should be level. OP - check those 3 areas first AND make sure all tires have equal air pressure.

/ New snow plow - one end higher than the other - is this normal? #4  
If your second picture would have been a bit further back, it would explain why. Lift cylinder is picking up on the right side, throwing the blade to the left. I can see the top of the cylinder it off set in the picture looking from the front, assuming the carriage bolt head in the top of the moldboard is on center. And can just see the yoke of the cylinder where it attaches in the second picture, to what looks like the right push arm.

Not sure why it was engineered to pick from the right side, instead of on center, but maybe to clear the angle cylinder, when angling full left, which would bring it in, closer to the center.

/ New snow plow - one end higher than the other - is this normal? #5  
Rossn, When the plow is raised (as in the first pic) and by hand you push down on the high side, does the high side go to the ground and raise the left side? If so then the plow is just heavier on the left side and the pivoting pin has a lot of play. The angle cylinder being on that side will make it heavier.

/ New snow plow - one end higher than the other - is this normal?
Hi all - thanks for the great feedback. I did call the Massey dealer, who is calling Agco. I'm not sure if this typical of a snow plow, though it does reduce the usefulness when thinking about things like grading and would probably get premature wear on the steel edge on the low side.

I don't think there is anything that can be loosened and re-tightened. I think the tractor is sitting level, but will put a level across the front frame and also the plow and see if they match. My guess is that I'd have noticed if the ~1' wide frame was off by a 1/4". Good point on the cylinder being offset to one side. I'll see if there is any slop in the female quick attach that the center pin goes through, though I had to tap the pin with a hammer to get it to engage the lower mounting surface - so certainly no slop on the blade itself. I'll hook it up tonight and see what happens when I push down on the high side.

/ New snow plow - one end higher than the other - is this normal?
Unfortunately, I didn't get to hooking it up again tonight, but will try to check later this week, after some weather moves through. The dealer reached out to Agco today.

Last edited:
   / New snow plow - one end higher than the other - is this normal? #8  
For what it's worth, I was looking at a County Line rear blade at TSC the other day and the manufacturer had welded the blade pivot housing onto the blade crooked. Someone will be sorry to buy that particular blade. The other ones on the lot were welded on straight.

Possibly you have a similar situation going on with your blade. Maybe the mounting points are simply not welded in the right position relative to the blade.

/ New snow plow - one end higher than the other - is this normal? #9  
Did your dealer say this setup would be suitable for light grading? I'd guess it would be tipped forward on those springs quite a bit. Certainly in rough going. If the lift cyl is causing the tilt, it will still be hard to judge your grade. If it's useable for dirt, yes, I'd want that blade co-planar with the frame for any kind of fine work, which is maybe what you have in mind? Push the dealer, before you scratch it up. Jim