New sthil saw!

/ New sthil saw! #31  
I was at my local Stihl dealer the other day and noticed that some of the smaller saws have new (old style) fuel and oil caps. Guess they finally decided to ditch the overly complicated design they've been using for the last few years and get back to basics. I wonder if they are going to use them on all their saws or just the small ones?

That one feature kept me from replacing my old Stihl saw that was stolen, with a new one. Instead I went with a Husky and now I have to put up with a saw that leaks oil like crazy....

/ New sthil saw! #32  
I am no longer the big jerk I used to be so I have to use the compression release on the 360.

So your saying it helps significantly? I know on the 660 it will keep me from punching my self in the face and racking my fingers on the starter handle. In the off chance its ready to pull start just before top of stroke

Dave

/ New sthil saw! #33  
So your saying it helps significantly? I know on the 660 it will keep me from punching my self in the face and racking my fingers on the starter handle. In the off chance its ready to pull start just before top of stroke

Dave

Arthritis has so limited my range of motion and the grip in my hands the even starting the 021 the rope will jerk out of my hand and I hurt all over. The 360 without the compression release just is not doable. Due to my limitations I try never to use a saw if the kids are not around so our 15 year old son who is 6" taller than me will often pull the 360 while I have my foot through the lower handle.

The key is being strong enough and good range of motion to do a long follow through pull when starting our saws.

I just wish I had purchased the 360 25 years ago. Trying to cut up just one large tree a year would have been worth the price over trying to use a homeowner Stihl version of a chainsaw.

/ New sthil saw! #34  
I am no longer the big jerk I used to be so I have to use the compression release on the 360.

I don't use it on my 361 but I am beginning to rethink that on these cold days. Everytime I tried it I had trouible starting the saw, probably only due to not knowing the proper procedure. Very familiar with how easy it is to flood a 361 with one too many pulls :)

Harry K

/ New sthil saw! #35  
Arthritis has so limited my range of motion and the grip in my hands the even starting the 021 the rope will jerk out of my hand and I hurt all over. The 360 without the compression release just is not doable. Due to my limitations I try never to use a saw if the kids are not around so our 15 year old son who is 6" taller than me will often pull the 360 while I have my foot through the lower handle.

The key is being strong enough and good range of motion to do a long follow through pull when starting our saws.

I just wish I had purchased the 360 25 years ago. Trying to cut up just one large tree a year would have been worth the price over trying to use a homeowner Stihl version of a chainsaw.

Oddly it is my little MS210 that puts the 'bite' on me. Everytime I start it I tell myself "pull with AUTHORITY".

Harry K

/ New sthil saw! #36  
My wife would disagree with you on the worth of the starting system and also not be so impressed with your inability to carry an additional 1/2 pound. Unless, you've actually pull started both, why didn't you just stick with the first three words of your post and leave it at that?

Of course I have started both. I am simply of the opinion that on a little, light, small displacement saw like the MS192T you have, the additional weight (percentagewise) you would be carrying around all the time (keep in mind the MS192T is marketed as a low end arborist saw) isn't worth the tiny gain in starting ease. Adding 8oz to a heavy, larger engined saw is not noticeable in the luggability department whereas the additional ease is starting certainly is.

Same thing with the mid range handheld blowers (BG56, BG86, etc.) - pulling force for starting is very low; why burden yourself with lugging additional "easy start" weight all the time. If Stihl stocks TWO lines of otherwise identical equipment, one with easy start and one without, there's obviously a reason for it.

At any rate, I apologize if you were offended; I was simply stating my opinion. For a person physically limited from starting a regular 2 cycle engine, the easy start has its place - which is why Stihl offers it.

/ New sthil saw! #37  
I just purched a new farm boss this week also, Had to get rid of the Pioneer Farm saw, could not get parts anymore. If this saw works as good as the Pioneer farm saw, I will be real happy.

/ New sthil saw! #38  
I just purched a new farm boss this week also, Had to get rid of the Pioneer Farm saw, could not get parts anymore. If this saw works as good as the Pioneer farm saw, I will be real happy.

I thought it was a good saw because it was the Farm Boss or the used 360 with new bar, sprocket and chain. I decided on the classic and so far so good but it was a bigger gamble but wanted to say I had owned one professional model in. :) Actually the 85 year old guy with the 360 was wanting an easy start model so by selling his 360 he had the cash to buy the one he had his eye on so by going with the 360 I helped a family member of friends.