New to forum-hello

/ New to forum-hello #1  

jtax1116

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and figured I would check it out. I just recently purchased a 1971 case 530, 3cyl diesel. It is in pretty good shape but I know little to nothing about backhoes (i apologize for my ignorance). What do you all think about these machines? Seems pretty solid and I got what I think was a good deal. Any concern with them?

Thanks in advance

Jim

/ New to forum-hello
EDIT* sorry its a 580, not a 530 I typed the wrong number, sorry about that

/ New to forum-hello #3  
EDIT* sorry its a 580, not a 530 I typed the wrong number, sorry about that

Welcome to TBN.

To answer your question, it depends on what 580 it is. What is the letter after it?? 580b??? 580c??? You might get better responses if you include this.

/ New to forum-hello #4  
Welcome Jim!

As LD1 said, we need more info to give good opinions.

Your machine could be a 580 with no letter designation at all. That's the oldest version of the 580's. (There were also some 530's) If it is truly a straight 580 with no letter designation, you'll to look in seperate manuals for parts for the tractor and the loader/backhoe. At that time the model 33 backhoe and loder were considered attachments for the 580 tractor and not a part of a single TLB unit.

IF you look closer at your engine I think you'll find it to be a 4 Cyl diesel. A 188 diesel to be exact. The 188D is a good solid engine and not too expensive to rebuild in comparison to other diesels.

We need to know about the transmission too. Is it a manual F/R or a powershuttle F/R?
I.E., do you have to push the clutch in to change from F to R?
Unfortunately, the hydraulic powershuttle F/R transmissions weren't all that great.

Hope this helps!

Mark

/ New to forum-hello
Thanks for the reponses! It is just a "580" with a model 33 backhoe. It is a powershuttle F/R//I hope I dont run into problems with this....

When I bought the machine the previous owner also included a "parts machine"...same year model ect but a gas engine...

I am looking to fix it up and use it around the house...I paid 3500 total for it and the parts machine..I just hope I didnt get hosed...

Thanks again for the responses!

Jim