New to forum - Need an aerator(sp?)

/ New to forum - Need an aerator(sp?) #1  

jtj.wilbur

Good day,
I'm new to the forum and have been lurking for a little while.
I just bought a Herd spreader based on the comments posted here.
It just hit my door and looks like a good piece of equipment.
I'll let ya' know how it goes...

I now need an aerator. any ideas as to what works and what is junk.
I'm using a Polaris XP 850.
thanks, Jeff

/ New to forum - Need an aerator(sp?) #2  
Welcome Jeff. Do a search for aerators, it has been discussed a number of times. What I found shopping for one was that the Sears, Home Depot, Lowes models are all about the same and run in the $200 range. I honestly didn't think much of the one I bought but it held up better than expected for the 2 or 3 times a year I did about 2 acres. When you get above that level of quality the price jumps into the $800+ range pretty fast. I got lucky and bought a good heavy duty one cheap form a government auction to replace the original. I just couldn't spend the money for a good one new based on how often it got used.

If your area is not too large the rental stores often have the powered walk behind types that work better than most any of the pull types.

MarkV

/ New to forum - Need an aerator(sp?)
I did a search on the ATV section and came up dry.
I need to cover about 3 acres. I have seen a few things online, but nothing that makes me want to spend any $$.
Just trying to find the best bang for my buck.
Jeff

/ New to forum - Need an aerator(sp?) #4  
Hi, don't have an ATV, but the best ones are plug type, and heavy. Can your ATV pull them would be the issue... You probably have enough horsepower, but might not have enough traction.

/ New to forum - Need an aerator(sp?) #5  
Well Charles is right, a plug aerator is the only consideration. Spike aerators only contribute to compaction.

Jeff do a search for aerator in the attachment forum. We have had a couple of good discussions there.

MarkV