New (to me) tractor experience so far.

/ New (to me) tractor experience so far. #1  

bazman82

Gold Member
Tractor
Same Mercury 75 Farmtrac 795DTC
So as many may have seen already, I purchased a Farmtrac 785DTC a few weeks back. It is a 2005 model year according to the info on the engine plate. It was a considerable jump from my 1980's SAME Mercury 75.

The experience in riding and driving the FT is so much smoother and nicer than the SAME that I have barely even used the older tractor since I got the FT. I just finished 1st cutting last night and used the FT for the entire thing. Managed to do 1485 small squares and 134 round bales. It may not sound like a lot of round bales but when you need to get off the tractor for every one because the cutter doesn't work properly, that time adds up...Using the FT for all of this was great. I did not want to switch tractors like I usually do where I'll have 1 tractor hooked to an implement and ready to go the day before instead of unhooking and hooking back up. It was worth the time to stay on the FT and to unhook and hook back up.

The loader on the FT may need a bit of tweaking for the little bit that I have used it but I won't know for certain until I really put it to use. So far, it doesn't seem as responsive as the loader on the SAME. The FT has the higher rated lift capacity and the SAME has a higher breakout force so I am not sure if that's the difference in feel when using it. I'll know more later when my grapple arrives. I do wish the cross arm on the loader of the FT was in the slightly different spot as I can't see the spike on the bale spear while I am trying to get round bales which make it just a bit more difficult to pick them up.

Now my wife has warned me that if I start to pay less attention to the SAME that it'll get upset with me... So on Friday last week as I go to mow the rest of the 1st cutting I notice my SAME leaning to the side...Yup the one rear tire was flat :( . The rim has a pretty decent size hole in it around the stem area. I'd say a 2" x 3" hole. Looks like the SAME wanted to of my money and attention....I guess the younger, newer and bigger tire tractor was enough to make the other Jealous...

All in all, I am happy with my purchase of this tractor and 1 of my local new Holland dealers can get parts for me which is a plus.

/ New (to me) tractor experience so far. #2  
Congratulations on the new tractor. Always an exciting event.

jeff9366

/ New (to me) tractor experience so far. #3  
Sounds like you added the newer tractor to the fleet just in time! When you get the old Same fixed up, you can probably still find some uses for it. It's good to have a spare. It probably doesn't owe you much at this point.

/ New (to me) tractor experience so far.
Sounds like you added the newer tractor to the fleet just in time! When you get the old Same fixed up, you can probably still find some uses for it. It's good to have a spare. It probably doesn't owe you much at this point.

Yeah, I like using the Same to move round bales since I have a better visual and the loader seems to be more responsive. I have only had the tractor for 3 yrs and put about 500 hours on it and hasn't really needed much other than some regular maintenance. I have been debating on fixing the rim or buying a salvaged rim because Ag salvage parts has one that would fit. Its 325 for the entire rim (outer and inner part). The tire on the wheel looks decent too so I called back and asked for a price with the tire still on. If its not to bad then I may get that and take my time repairing the old rim and it'll give me a spare since the other rim can break anytime now.

Buying the new tractor just in time is right though. Even my grandfathers tractor is out of commission with a bad hydraulic leak. He was helping me with hay and the leak got worse and he ran out as he was using the haybine but kept going because the outer field was already cut so he didn't have to pick it up. Of course, on his way back to the house he left it running so it wouldn't clog but it did and he didn't notice and the cutter bar belt burned in half (I saw the haybine smoking from where I was and tried to call him but it went right to voicemail) .....Not a repair I wanted to do but since he has gotten older he doesn't notice a lot of things. I think he is just helping me get ready to repair things for when my kids start using the equipment.

After I get the farmtrac payed off, I will most likely start looking again for a third tractor. It would be nice to have a backup for the backup but this time I will look for a 2wd.