New tractor owner needs BIZ advice-

/ New tractor owner needs BIZ advice- #1  

over40dq

Tractor
Kubota 3940
I was laid off in the spring, no good job prospects so far either. I have a new Kubota 3040 with loader and snow blower and wonder about details, challenges, insurance, bonding etc to do a snow removal business this winter. Anyone have some advice for me?:eek:

/ New tractor owner needs BIZ advice- #2  
I have never done snow removal but I did do some commercial mowing years ago. At that time the commercial insurance was not all that expensive. Some places will require you to carry a minimum amount of liability. I did some mowing for the city and they required proof of $1,000,000 minimum liability insurance.

/ New tractor owner needs BIZ advice- #3  
I was laid off in the spring, no good job prospects so far either. I have a new Kubota 3040 with loader and snow blower and wonder about details, challenges, insurance, bonding etc to do a snow removal business this winter. Anyone have some advice for me?:eek:

Personally, I'd insure my machine through Kubota insurance and work on the side without a business license. An umbrella rider on your home owners will take care of liability.

WInter time: Blow snow, cash and go.

/ New tractor owner needs BIZ advice- #4  
I only have personal knowledge in CA and OR, but in both of those an umbrella rider will not cover business activity.

On a few occasions I have used my machine to load something heavy from a neighbor's place into a truck or onto a flat bed. Usually I will be offered a small amount of money after the job is complete.

Even though the job is finished and there is no danger of an accident or an insurance claim, I always turn it down because I have insurance that covers me if I am doing a non-commercial favor for someone, but does not cover any commercial activity.

Sure, an extra $20 would get me a few gallons of diesel, but it isn't worth having an insurance company wiggle out of a legitimate claim over.

/ New tractor owner needs BIZ advice- #5  
Over, welcome to TBN.
You have a PM. :)

/ New tractor owner needs BIZ advice- #6  
The biggest danger of not having commercial insurance is if there is a wreck while towing the equipment. The homeowners won't cover the damage to the truck, trailer, or equipment if they find out you are making money with this equipment.

/ New tractor owner needs BIZ advice- #7  
I only have personal knowledge in CA and OR, but in both of those an umbrella rider will not cover business activity.

On a few occasions I have used my machine to load something heavy from a neighbor's place into a truck or onto a flat bed. Usually I will be offered a small amount of money after the job is complete.

Even though the job is finished and there is no danger of an accident or an insurance claim, I always turn it down because I have insurance that covers me if I am doing a non-commercial favor for someone, but does not cover any commercial activity.

Sure, an extra $20 would get me a few gallons of diesel, but it isn't worth having an insurance company wiggle out of a legitimate claim over.

I'm with Dave on this one, it's the same here in Canada. I'm insured for liability and comprehensive coverage through my auto policy, homeowners policy won't cover over 25 HP here, at least not my company. And that's only while traveling on road with the tractor, doesn't provide any liability for commercial use. What I do have is an additional endorsement that gives me coverage while snowploughing, but has a $2500 deductible. Essentially, if I rip the side of someone's house off while doing them a favour, as Dave does, the insurance company will cover the damage after I eat the first $2500. If they get even a sniff that I was being paid to do it, I suspect I'm out of luck.

What I suggest to someone that wants to pay me for helping them out, is that I drink beer, and an extra dozen won't go astray :) Or, a gift certificate to a nice restaurant at Christmas time, things like that. You don't want cash changing hands without commercial insurance coverage is the way I see it, not good news for you.

One other way to look at it, if you get something other than money in exchange, it's one thing you won't have to pay for out of pocket. So, you need clients that are dentists, grocers, auto mechanics, etc.

My 2 cents,

Chilly

/ New tractor owner needs BIZ advice- #8  
Check with your accountant. Most can help you set up an LLC Limited liabilty co. Short money and well worth the protection... LLC's are what most single or small carpenters/ contractors are working under...

Good Luck

/ New tractor owner needs BIZ advice- #9  
Agree. You need to be insulated from lawsuits by having the LLC do the work, not you. The LLC can get insurance to cover your equipment and, most importantly, any liability that springs from your performing fee-for-service work. General Liability ("slip-and-fall") insurance would be a must, I would think.

I would agree with others that if you don't have coverage appropriate to a commercial endevour, you're not only putting your equipment at risk, but yourself at risk if someone decides to litigate against you for something you did (or didn't do).

And yes, it is a stupid world we live in.

It sounds scary, but really isn't that expensive. Even creation of the LLC isn't but a few hundred bucks if you do the paperwork yourself.

If I think of anything else, I'll pass it along.

Good luck!