New Tractor Owner, same dumb question...

/ New Tractor Owner, same dumb question... #1  

astrocreep

Tractor
Kubota L3902
Hello everyone! I did search, and went through about 3 pages of results for 'R4' in this forum, but did not find anything with a resolution to the question. So, if I may be so bold:
  • Is there a conversion chart for front tire sizes to allow different tire types to be used based on the conditions?
Obviously I'm buying a Kubota L3902, since it seems to make sense for my property size and needs. I will be doing some FEL work initially, getting pads ready for concrete, hauling/loading excess dirt from land "development", etc. I also want to set up a couple acres with till in clover to start conditioning the soil around there, and believe me, it needs it. So, I opted for the R1 tires on the tractor, and understand that I'll need to keep the front pressures relatively high when using the loader to avoid rolling them, correct? Eventually, sooner rather than later, I'd like to have a set of R4, or industrial, tires to reduce the wear and tear on the AG tires when doing the majority of the FEL work. I'll also admit I need to further my education in the tire ratio department as it affects the MFWD tractors to avoid grenading my front differential.

Thanks in advance for any response, be it in the positive, or negative.

/ New Tractor Owner, same dumb question... #2  
Switching wheels and tires is expensive. Also if the rears are filled, they are very heavy and dangerous to remove and install without proper equipment.

/ New Tractor Owner, same dumb question... #3  
Hello everyone! I did search, and went through about 3 pages of results for 'R4' in this forum, but did not find anything with a resolution to the question. So, if I may be so bold:
  • Is there a conversion chart for front tire sizes to allow different tire types to be used based on the conditions?
Obviously I'm buying a Kubota L3902, since it seems to make sense for my property size and needs. I will be doing some FEL work initially, getting pads ready for concrete, hauling/loading excess dirt from land "development", etc. I also want to set up a couple acres with till in clover to start conditioning the soil around there, and believe me, it needs it. So, I opted for the R1 tires on the tractor, and understand that I'll need to keep the front pressures relatively high when using the loader to avoid rolling them, correct? Eventually, sooner rather than later, I'd like to have a set of R4, or industrial, tires to reduce the wear and tear on the AG tires when doing the majority of the FEL work. I'll also admit I need to further my education in the tire ratio department as it affects the MFWD tractors to avoid grenading my front differential.

Thanks in advance for any response, be it in the positive, or negative.
Your tractor owners manual will have the sizes for R1, R4 and turf tire sixes that should be used. I got this from TractorData.com

Kubota L3902 Tires
Standard tires (ag)Front: 7.2-16. Rear: 11.2-24
Lawn/turf front25x8.50-14
Lawn/turf rear13.6-16
Industrial front27x8.50-15
29x9.50-15
Industrial rear15-19.5
43x16-20

You will want to be sure to get the right front- rear tire sizes to prevent excess stress on the gear train when operating in 4wd. As can be seen, each tire type requires a different rim size also.

Last edited:
   / New Tractor Owner, same dumb question... #4  
Sounds like an expensive pain in the .... why not go with r14?

/ New Tractor Owner, same dumb question... #5  
Go to the tyre dealer and ask what options you have to swap FRONT tyres ONLY between Ag(R1), Industrial(R4) and R14 combination tyres. Don't load the front tyres ,and keep the Ag tyres on the rear and load them.

Suggestion: for loader work, get a 2nd set of Ag Front tyres (WORN) and run them in the house pad type work where they are most likely to get damaged, and being worn will chop the ground up less. This leaves the new front tyres for feild work. I used to do a lot of bale stacking and worn(20% or less rubber) front tyre left the ground a lot less chopped up compared to new tyres