New Tractor, which one

/ New Tractor, which one #1  

JeffFay

Just bought a 20 acre horse farm, arena, barn, pasture, etc. Looking to buy a tractor which can move manure, dig fence poles, rack the arena. Any suggestions which model might be the best?

/ New Tractor, which one #2  
I guess you are leaning toward a New Holland since that is where you posted. Selecting the brand is half the battle. I have a TC29D that will do everthing you described. Many on this board recommend buying a larger horsepower than what you actually need. I guess the idea is that after awhile you will want to do something that will require more. IMO, you should know what you will be doing with the tractor and buy accordingly.
For you a front end loader is a must. How large of a bucket will you need, and how much weight will you be lifting? My guess is a 1/4 yard bucket would serve your needs.
I highly recommend the hydrostatic trans, and the deluxe 3 point hitch. If you have to maneuver in tight places, you might want to consider the optional super steer.
Your best bet is to visit your dealer and see the models, I would think a compact Boomer such as the TC29 or 33 would work for you, but If you have the money to spend you could look at the large frame Boomers. Hope this has been of some help.
ErnieB

/ New Tractor, which one #3  
If you have not already done so, go read similar questions in the other tractor brand areas. You will find people asking similar questions, and while thier needs may differ from yours, you might find some answers to questions you would not have thought to ask.

By the way you are starting with the right questions to ask before looking at a particular tractor. The key to buying the tractor is what kinda of jobs you need to get done. The jobs tell you what implements you need. The implements specifications will help you pick out the right size tractor you will need. Course you bank account may tell you something else! :cool:

You mentioned a need for a post hole digger. I have a Bush Hog brochure on their post hole diggers. I'm not saying Bush Hog has a good or bad product since I don't own a PHD at the moment but here is where the implement can lead you to a tractor.

The borchure has three different models, a 2101, 2102 and 2103. The 2101 is for tractor rated at 40 HP or less. I usually assume that is PTO HP but I ask if I get serious about the implement. The other two models appear to require more than 40HP, the brochure does not say. They 2103 comes with an optional down pressure kit. If you are in hard soil you might really require that kit but then it seems you will need a tractor with the 40+ PTO HP AND you might need another hydraulic control valve depending on what other implements you have on the tractor.

If you want a wood chipper, PTO generator, or rotary cutter they will require ranges of PTO HP. That will push you in the size of tractor you might need.

Go to as many dealers as you can. Read this site especially about the different brands as well as the discussions about the implements you need. But don't ignore the other threads thinking you might not need the implement being discussed. You might be suprised at what you learn and say, "I really need that!" I sure did.

Lastly find a dealer that you are comfortable with. That relationship is VERY important.

How much manure do you have to move? Do you want a six foot wide bucket? If so how much does horse poop weigh? Will the cubic capactiy of the bucket on a given tractor allow you to pick up to much poop that can't be lifted by the tractor? I would guess this is not the case but on the smaller tractors it might be. Read the brochures on the Front End Loaders for a given brand and make sure.

Good Luck.
Dan McCarty