New Trailer Questions

/ New Trailer Questions
It was either her buy it or I buy it, she bought, so now I owe her.

/ New Trailer Questions #12  
After looking at the Wisconsin DOT website and coming away more confused than before I started, I am wondering if I need to license this trailer? I e-mailed the DOT but I figured you guys might know as well. By the way, I'll be hauling my JD 4310 w/FEL and usually a mower or tiller. JP.

Yes, you do. All trailers over 3500# total weight need to be licensed in WI.

Are you going to be hauling the tractor to do paid work or to perform "improvements" on your own property? If so, you may need to get USDOT numbers and follow all the commercial vehicle regulations. Goofy as it sounds, in WI you may be a commercial vehicle. They are enforcing this aspect currently and it is costly (which is why they are using it to enrich the state).

WI statutes follow the Federal DOT and if the truck + load + trailer + load actual weight is 10,001 pounds or more, it is a "commercial vehicle" and must follow the same regs as the big rigs. The only loophole is if the truck AND trailer are both farm tagged, you don't need USDOT # until you cross 26,001 pounds.

Laws change, so check with the State Highway Patrol. NOT the DMV. They know next to nothing, go to the people that enforce the law.

/ New Trailer Questions #13  
WI statutes follow the Federal DOT and if the truck + load + trailer + load actual weight is 10,001 pounds or more, it is a "commercial vehicle"

That is partially correct. Load has nothing to do with it. If the CGVWR is over 10k it is a CMV, loaded or empty.

The only loophole is if the truck AND trailer are both farm tagged, you don't need USDOT # until you cross 26,001 pounds.

Can you cite where it says that? They made a big deal out of making farmers with rigs over 10k get numbers a few years ago.