Newbie asks 100 questions

/ Newbie asks 100 questions #1  

Stephen

Tractor
BX2200
I've been looking at JD 300/400 series and also some of the compact tractors new & used.

My *feeling* is that the Garden tractors (based on what I see used) discount as though they have a 2000 to 2400 hour lifespan. A JD3xx w/ 1200 hours might sell for half. Some older model JD GTs 318, 275 w/ ~2000 hours are priced at only 10-15% of new (and are often on a second engine, drive, even tranny). Maybe this is because the models are too old for part & attachment availability.

The compacts (both JD & Kubota) discount in much longer time. Also used attachments are more available.

Can someone confirm/deny this ? Is the more quickly declining prices of the GTs due to model changes and unavailability of part & attachments or is it due to the a shorter useful lifespan(hour count)of the unit ?

My continuing needs could probably be met with a 300 series, mower, tiller & blade, but I do have a few projects that would call for bigger equipment on a sporadic basis (I could hire that out).

I'm starting to believe I'd be ahead with a used compact tractor. I suspect I could buy one used and resell it - even 10-15 yeaqrs later - for about what I paid . That's certainly not true for a GT. What sort of finish mowing performance will I get with a belly mower on a compact vs a 54" deck on a GT ? I expect that I would be gaining a lot in terms of flexibility (3pt, pto, bigger tranny) with a compact - what am I losing besides turning radius ?

I know I'm calling for a gross generalization here - but what sort of serious repair should I expect from a compact over time vs a GT ? What sort of life can I get from tires ?

Not to start a religious war, but is JD the way to go for used compact tractors ? I read here that replacement parts are sky-high.

I see quite a few compacts for sale at about 15 years of age with only about 1200-1500 hours on them. This seems too low to have seen commercial use. Why is this ?

/ Newbie asks 100 questions #2  
Stephan - I was hoping some of the more experienced guys would jump in, but they didn't so I will. In my opinion, a garden tractor and a compact tractor are completely different machines which should not be compared one against the other. Even the finest garden tractors are limited by weight and traction, the keys to putting horsepower to the ground. My GT has 18 horsepower, and my Kubota compact tractor has 17. There is simply no comparison between the abilities of the 2 machines - the GT is a joke compared to the Kubota, and my compact is about as weak a tractor as you can buy. If you want one machine and one machine only, it should without a doubt be a compact tractor UNLESS you have only, strictly, 100% mowing to do, in which case I would get a ZTR. If you are looking used, I suggest ANY of the well recognised brand name Japanese tractors. If you are looking for a new tractor, I personally think the Kubota BX series is unbeatable.

/ Newbie asks 100 questions #3  
Stephen,I don't have a J.D. but I can relate to your questions.I used a Simplicity with a 48" deck to mow my 2 and 1/2+ acres,I would mow 1/2 one day then the rest the following day(time restraints,too many things to do in a day)It did a good job but was slow going!Moving up to a compact just based on mowing...well there is no comparison between the two,first I cut my mowing time in less than 1/2 (using a 60" deck now)Quality of cut is much better even if I can't get to the mowing on a regular basis,where the old mower didn't like to cut grass too well when I let it go longer than usual.Turning radius actually improved! Power steering is the way to go along with HST!I can cut a smaller radius than with my old mower.Going with a compact gives you more versatility.Having a loader and some attachments let you do alot of projects around your home that you never even thought to do before.Tom

/ Newbie asks 100 questions #4  
PaulB, Blu21,

Thanks for the great responses - really appreciate it. I guess it not just that I'm looking for a bigger toy.

My other question remains. What kind of lifespan should I expect from a high quality GT (like JD) versus a Compact like Kubota ?

-Stephen on the road

/ Newbie asks 100 questions #5  
Maybe I can help a little bit.

I own both a JD316 (18 hp 2 cyl Onan engine) and a Kubota B7100 (17 hp 3 cyl diesel). It's very difficult to compare the two: kind of like apples and bananas.

I've owned the JD for about 14 years and it has close to 2000 hours on the meter. It's still running strong and has never had any major problems and I've changed the oil and hydraulic fluid regularly. It runs a 50" mower deck and pushes a 54" plow blade. It's been a great machine and I have no plans to get rid of it. It's only semi-retired as my kids love to mow with it.

I bought the Kubota almost two years ago to get a tractor that could handle a larger mower and 3 pt implements, like a bush hog. Although the Kubota b7100 is the smallest of the b-series tractors, it's a little work horse and definitely a lot more tractor than the JD 316. I can mow 5 acres in under 3.5 hrs. with the 60" deck, versus 6-plus with the JD, can handle more snow more quickly with a 5 ft back blade, and can run a 4 ft bush hog. Generally, I'd say it's more versatile than the JD 316.

Best advice I can give is to really look at what you want to do and then determine the best machine to meet your needs. And get the most HP in the size range you settle on.

Bob Pence