newbie with a driveline question

/ newbie with a driveline question #1  

okgreen

Tractor
john deere 750
hello, all. this is my very first post so please bear with me. i have a brand new drive-line that, when locked onto the PTO, will not collapse enough to go over the spline on the brushog. suggestions?

/ newbie with a driveline question #2  
hello, all. this is my very first post so please bear with me. i have a brand new drive-line that, when locked onto the PTO, will not collapse enough to go over the spline on the brushog. suggestions?

Read the insructions for proper installation and adjust the shaft as needed.

/ newbie with a driveline question
thanks for the "help", kevin

/ newbie with a driveline question #4  
Kevin is right, the directions should explain how to do this. If you don't have the directions, here is how I do it, and I have done many over the years. Hook the implement to the tractor in the same way it will be hooked up in use. Remove the drive shaft completely form the implement and tractor. Take a tape measure and measure from the end of the tractor PTO shaft to the end of the implement shaft. Do not shift the implement so the shafts line up this should be done as the implement will be on the machine in use with the implement on the ground. Now measure the overall length of the drive shaft (collapsed), the difference in these lengths will be what you need to cut off the male and female shafts and also the covers. So if the distance between the implement and the machine is 30" and the overall length of the drive shaft is 36", you need to cut 6" off the male shaft, 6" off the female shaft, and 6" off of both the covers. This can be done with hacksaw, or abrasive cut-off saw, you will need to file the burrs off afterward. I hope that helps.

Brian

/ newbie with a driveline question #5  
thanks for the "help", kevin

Sorry you feel that way. There is way more to fitting the driveline than getting it hooked up on both ends. You run the risk of having it fly apart or damaging the tractor transmission if set up wrong.

If you did not get instructions with the drive line or the implement then say so and you will get plenty of help here.

/ newbie with a driveline question #6  
Sometimes you can move the mower frame around that the link pins are on, to a new position such that pto shaft will now fit. On my mower, the link attachments have a bunch of holes to allow me to move the mower closer or farther away by a few inches.

You want to make sure that the shaft is short enough so that when the mower is fully raised, the shaft doesn't bottom out and buckle. The effect on the transmission and/or the mower gearbox could be disasterous. If there is no way to adjust the links or the attachment pins, cut 1" sections off with a hacksaw, grinder, or chop saw untill you have a good fit. You may need to trim the plastic shielding too. Hope that's clear. In your situation, it sounds like you don't need to worry about making it too short. Yes, you can measure or estimate the amount to remove in 1 cut, but it seems like you have it nearly on already.

/ newbie with a driveline question
thanks for the good info, guys. and kevin i apologize for not providing enough information in my first post. i received no instructions/manual when i picked up this driveline. i should have made that clear. thanks again.