Newbie with a FEL question

/ Newbie with a FEL question #1  

Danny_In_Illinois

Tractor
Looking to buy
Hi everyone! I think this site is great... where new as well as experience tractor enthusiasts can get answers to their questions. Here's one from a newbie. I'm in the process of buying my 1st tractor... an L3940 HST with FEL (LA724 with Quick-Attach and Kubota's Heavy-Duty bucket). I've read on this forum where the optional 3rd function valve is nice to have. I'm getting the heavy-duty bucket that Kubota offers for my FEL. If I order the 3rd function valve, can I use it with this bucket? The reason I'm asking is because I've read where the 3rd function valve is very useful for a 4n1 bucket... but does it have a use on Kubota's HD bucket? And if the answer is Yes, what feature does it control?

Thanks,
-- Danny

/ Newbie with a FEL question #2  
If the HD bucket is just that... a bucket, the only functions it needs are lift and curl. The regular loader control provides those. Where the third function comes is is where you have an additional function to control. In the case of a 4n1 bucket or a grapple, the third function is open/close. So you have lift (function 1), curl (function 2), and open/close (function 3).

If it's in your budget, the third function would be very nice to have, even if you don't have a use for it today. I just spent $575.00 on an after-market third function valve for my Mahindra. And, I had to install it my self. Having it factory installed would be nice.

Later,

BR

/ Newbie with a FEL question
So if I understand correctly, I would not use the 3rd function valve with Kubota's HD bucket. If I decide to buy the 3rd function valve with my loader, it seems like I would be better off shopping around for a 4n1 bucket instead of buying one of Kubota's buckets. It seems strange to me that Kubota sells a 3rd function valve and they don't offer a bucket that uses it.

-- Danny

/ Newbie with a FEL question #4  
Doesn't seem that strange to me. Likely, most customers just want the loader with a bucket. But, some percentage (obviously a large enough percentage of their customers to make it worth offering) want the 3rd function installed. Even if Kubota doesn't offer a 4-in-1 bucket, they make a little money on the 3rd function valve and the labor involved in installing it. Plus, for those customers that don't want to fool with installing a valve from a third party (like I did with my valve from WR Long), it makes them happy. Happy customers are often repeat customers. Good business for Kubota.

If you think a 4-in-1 bucket may be in your future, this may be the time to work it in. Check with your dealer and see if you can get the loader discounted if you get it without a bucket. Then, have your dealer order you a 4-in-1 bucket from their supplier(s). It may not add much to the cost, and you've have a 4-in-1 bucket instead of a standard bucket.

I don't know specifically what advantages/disadvantages there might be between a standard HD bucket and a 4-in-1 bucket, though. Would you be giving up functionality (bucket capacity?) going the 4-in-1 route? I love my new grapple, and I expect it'll be on my loader the majority of the time. But, I wouldn't want it instead of my standard bucket. They're designed for totally different applications. Would the 4-in-1 offer all the functionality of the HD bucket, plus additional functionality? I'm not familiar enough with 4-in-1 buckets to know.

Good luck,

BR

/ Newbie with a FEL question #5  
I had just ordered a L5240 with the kubota brand vs wr long 3rd func control because some of the wr long installs were pretty tacky.......not the wr long controller just sloppy work from dealer.

Here are some pictures. I won't actually pick it up until the wrlong bucket arrives

Attachments

• Kubota3rdRemoteW3330.jpg
    Kubota3rdRemoteW3330.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 207
  • KubotaFrontQuickReleasew332.jpg
    KubotaFrontQuickReleasew332.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 181
  • L5240sideW3331.jpg
    L5240sideW3331.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 183
  • L5240FrontW3328.jpg
    L5240FrontW3328.jpg