Next Question - Hardie Siding- Furring strips or no?

/ Next Question - Hardie Siding- Furring strips or no? #11  
If you get a lot of rain, it might be better to be safe than sorry. Check out the "leaky condo crisis" in Vancouver, B.C. This was caused by a national building code rather than a local code which would have considered local conditions. Rainscreen technology cured the problems, but at great expense for some condo owners. Biggest part of the problem was acrylic stucco would leak and then rot the structure underneath when it didn't dry out. Costs of over $100,000.00 per suite to repair were not uncommon. I still remember at the start, being sent out to a 300 suite, three year old building to give an estimate to repair some leaking. The property manager didn't really believe me when I said I couldn't do it as it was too big a job. Turned out to be over $2,000,000.00 After this Hardie board became much more common, with specific installation instructions.

/ Next Question - Hardie Siding- Furring strips or no? #12  
It amazes me the desire to have stucco when you life basically in a rain forest. It looked good in California.....

/ Next Question - Hardie Siding- Furring strips or no? #14  
I built a new house in Richmond B.C. in 1996 and used conventional stucco because I was afraid of the acrylic stuff. You needed stucco for resale value in that specific market for new immigrant buyers. What cost about $600,000.00 then is now worth about $3,500,000.00. You can't afford to ignore resale. Have Hardie board now and love it. Still looks like new after 15 years with ZERO maintenance.

/ Next Question - Hardie Siding- Furring strips or no? #15  
For moisture that might seep or permeate into a space to evaporate (dry out) requires air with less moisture for a period of time that allows it (the moisture) to be absorbed into the air...if there is no way for said air to easily move in and out the space the moisture can remain and often cause mold etc...

moisture can seep into spaces that has little or no ventilation so there is virtually no way for the moisture to escape...

/ Next Question - Hardie Siding- Furring strips or no?
For moisture that might seep or permeate into a space to evaporate (dry out) requires air with less moisture for a period of time that allows it (the moisture) to be absorbed into the air...if there is no way for said air to easily move in and out the space the moisture can remain and often cause mold etc...

moisture can seep into spaces that has little or no ventilation so there is virtually no way for the moisture to escape...

SOOOOOO? That is a vote for furring strips????

/ Next Question - Hardie Siding- Furring strips or no? #17  
To err on the safe side I'd go the furring route.

1- circulating air would keep any moisture at bay.
2- furring would help blend any irregular surface variations.

As to window trim I once ripped Hardie into appropriate strips to create DIY Hardie molding, (worked out just fine).
That Hardi project in question was done 10 years back and is still in A-1 condition.
The project quoted was done with primed Hardi that we stained with opaque water based product.
No signs of mold anywhere, even in shaded areas.
(note: lots of mold on many buildings in this area, both on wood and vinyl siding )

The furring strips are a GOOD idea!
Trust me...I have had Hardie siding issues!
Be absolutely certain to thoroughly prime rime all edges and cuts/ends!