NH 450 Baler

/ NH 450 Baler #1  

Ridersupfarm

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 7060
I recently purchased a new NH 450 baler for our horse farm. It's replacing a NH 648 that broke down. My first experience with it revealed two major problems. First, while rolling, hay builds up excessively in front of the belts to the point where the belts are totally obscured from the tractor cab. The second is each roll on being ejected also dumps a pile of fines leaving a mess that hse to be cleaned up after the rolls have been moved. The dealer hasn't offered any suggestions on correcting these issues. I should add that my old 648 did not have these problems and neighbors who use JD balers have rolled hay for me when my baler broke down similarly did not have these problems so I've eliminated my hay as the contributing factor here. Anyone having these issues and suggested remedies?
Thanks

/ NH 450 Baler #2  
Shorten the dwell time from full bale to wrap, adjust the windguard for less pressure and alter your bailing time to when there is a bit of dew on the forage. I cannot see my belts at all on my Kubota BV round baler as the emtire bale chamber if enclosed. Like it better that way, less chaff and dust floating around.

/ NH 450 Baler
Thanks, the dwell time tip may indeed help with reducing fines at bale eject. I'm not so interested in seeing my belts go round and round as wondering why so much hay piles up where its not supposed to be. We bale mostly fescue so getting the moisture down below 20% can be challenging hence our reluctance to baling when there is moisture on the surface. We never had that problem before so I don't see the time of baling as the prevailing issue.

/ NH 450 Baler #4  
Dry year here so I altered my bailing time to early morning or after dark. By 10 if I'm not done, it waits for the next day. Dew won't saturate the forage anyway, just provides a better binder.

/ NH 450 Baler #5  
In 2020 My Roll Belt 450 did the same thing. I found that hay also would build up in front of the belts. Very annoying. Previous round balers didnt have that problem.
Mine was a poor ownership experience. Sold that baler after 1 year and bought another large square baler. Pretty much ended my round baling career and pushed me into doing all large squares.

/ NH 450 Baler #6  
Never had those issues with my NH but I hated the way it threaded net. Total PITA and would neve run 'over the edge net' The Kubota BV exhibits none of those issues. Besides, I can carry 2 rolls of net under the side clamshell and not buy the NH (expensive) rear carrier and it only carries one roll, not 2.

I have to run 4 x 5 rounds. My customer requires them. Customer is always right.

/ NH 450 Baler
Never had those issues with my NH but I hated the way it threaded net. Total PITA and would neve run 'over the edge net' The Kubota BV exhibits none of those issues. Besides, I can carry 2 rolls of net under the side clamshell and not buy the NH (expensive) rear carrier and it only carries one roll, not 2.

I have to run 4 x 5 rounds. My customer requires them. Customer is always right.
Thanks for the reply. My unit is twin only so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. The machines are very different in the front end for net vs twine.

/ NH 450 Baler
In 2020 My Roll Belt 450 did the same thing. I found that hay also would build up in front of the belts. Very annoying. Previous round balers didnt have that problem.
Mine was a poor ownership experience. Sold that baler after 1 year and bought another large square baler. Pretty much ended my round baling career and pushed me into doing all large squares.
Wow, not the answer I was hoping for but thank you for the reply. Wasn't the dealer able to offer a solution for this issue?

/ NH 450 Baler #9  
Wow, not the answer I was hoping for but thank you for the reply. Wasn't the dealer able to offer a solution for this issue?
They were helpful. Honestly, I never should have bought that baler. Was on my way out with round bales.

/ NH 450 Baler
Was the dealer able to correct the problem of hay buildup in front of the belts. If so, what was the solution?