NH 479 haybine slip clutch

/ NH 479 haybine slip clutch #1  

cowridermi

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 65, MF 1080, MF 1100, Kubuta B8200, Farmall 504, Farmall Cubs, Farmall Super A, Belarus 250AS's, Belarus 611, JD F935
I have a 479 that has the yoke ear broken off. Priced one at the dealer and figured for their cost I would try my hand at repairing it. Found a yoke to fit the cross, SKF UJ187305. I cut a portion off the bottom of the new yoke to get it closer to the height needed. I needed to retain the bushing that was in the yoke so I couldn't just cut off the old yoke and weld in the new one. I cut the ear off the old yoke and trimmed it down with cut off. I then turned down the old yoke on a lathe so the new would slip over the old. And this was the finished product. Not pretty but should do. Will see how it holds up this season.

Just wanted to share.
P9090019a.JPGP2170020a.JPGP2170017a.JPGP2170006a.JPGP3130003a.JPGP3140008a.JPGP3160009a.JPG

/ NH 479 haybine slip clutch #2  
Nice work.

I had to replace the yoke on my NH488 this past summer.

Hoping you could answer a question for me about those slip clutches. Do you engage the PTO at any rpm/speed and let the "slip" do it's thing? Or do you throttle down to engage? I ask because I think that's how I broke mine. At the end of a row I usually turn the pto off and raise the cutter bar, then after turning and lining back up throttle down lower cutter bar and engage the pto.

Last year I was turning sharp on a hill with the cutter bar raised up, pto still engaged and snap. Shaft falls to the ground. This is a long way of asking if I could just disengage the pto while turning around and engage without doing anything else?

Here's mine.

DSCN3102.JPG

/ NH 479 haybine slip clutch #3  
You have to be carful how high you lift the cutter if it's engaged too, too high and it's very hard on the drive line.

I lift it, and only turn it off if I'm making a "sharp" turn, like on a point row... For normal corners, I leave it down and make the turn...

SR

/ NH 479 haybine slip clutch #4  
Thanks SR,

I'm sure lifting it high on a hill while engaged is what caused the problem.

/ NH 479 haybine slip clutch
You have to be carful how high you lift the cutter if it's engaged too, too high and it's very hard on the drive line.

I lift it, and only turn it off if I'm making a "sharp" turn, like on a point row... For normal corners, I leave it down and make the turn...

SR

Same here

/ NH 479 haybine slip clutch #6  
I have a NH 489, the only time I raise the cutter head is when it travels over a mound of dirt from a marmot hole. Some of these are 8-10 inches high. Turning on 90 deg corners I just keep cutting through the corners. My land is basically flat though.

/ NH 479 haybine slip clutch #7  
Nice work - some of these replacement parts are ridiculously expensive anymore.

/ NH 479 haybine slip clutch #8  
I used to have a 489, never raised it except when I finished the field. That was a nice machine!

/ NH 479 haybine slip clutch #9  
I've got a 489 and it's a tough machine. Don't know the year of it. Thought I'd destroyed it year before as when I was leaving my last field I forget to put it in transport position and ran the mower into the gate post. Snapped the tongue. My PTO shaft runs up the center. Of course it bent it but was able to straighten it out with heat and with the help of a hydraulic pipe bender was able to straighten it out. Hope the OP can get their problem resolved.