NH parts price gouging

/ NH parts price gouging #11  
Needed to replace the radiator in my '87 Ford 1220. So I go the local New Holland dealer. Even the old guy, working in the parts department of this dealership, rolled his eyes, when he saw the replacement cost for just the parts. And in that moment I think, even he had had enough. Cause he waved me closer and whispered, "Just have it re-cored locally." Which I did, at 1/4th the cost. 10 years later its still working fine. :)

/ NH parts price gouging #12  
I suggested that they could build up the kits by buying in bulk
So you want someone to take all the risk and you take all the benefits?

/ NH parts price gouging #13  
You have to choose between dealer new, after market new, dealer aftermarket, dealer rebuilt, after market rebuilt, E-Bay Amazon Walmart dot com "new" and the prices will be all over the board.
I just replaced the starter on my IH 574;
new dealer $650
reman dealer $380
Those are Delco direct drive units
After markets from $450 to $129
with some gear reduction units for as low as $130 which was what I had put on her 3-4 years ago.
I ended up with a new gear reduction unit from,
1712682885714.png

instead of a much less expensive one I had purchased earlier,
1712683003140.png

So much of the time it comes down to how much are you willing to spend and what quality do you want.

/ NH parts price gouging #14  
I recently rebuilt the front end loader cylinders on NH 2120 with FEL 7309.

The cylinder kits from the NH dealer are $175 for the bucket cyl and $299 for the lift cyl.
When I spoke to the fella on the parts 'hotline' and mentioned that this was taking advantage of their customers, he assured me that it wasn't like that and that they get the prices from NH and cant do anything about it. I suggested that they could build up the kits by buying in bulk from the seal companies but as a dealer he couldn't do that . I had to go to ebay for about half that price , for about $25 in seals .
Redz,
I’ll be doing this job on my 2120 this summer at some point. Do you mind sharing the eBay seller’s name and/or part numbers of what you needed?

/ NH parts price gouging #15  
I really want to change the hydraulic oil this spring, changing from 134 to 200, which is rated for colder weather. My head is spinning trying to find the same quality of oil as NH, and hoping to reduce the price. Every oil manufacturer has claims to be equal, just wondering if that's so. Have any NH owners found a quality, less expensive alternative to the NH 200 hydraulic oil?

/ NH parts price gouging #16  
Redz,
I’ll be doing this job on my 2120 this summer at some point. Do you mind sharing the eBay seller’s name and/or part numbers of what you needed?

I used these two kits for the 7309 bucket tilt and lift cylinders on our 2120 . I didn't measure the bore carefully enough on one kit and had to exchange it for the correct one. There are several options for cylinders and seal kits on a 7309:

As for dealer prices, $299 for a seal kit of 9 pieces for a 1-3/8" rod is extreme price gouging and would cause me to consider:
1) other brands of tractors based on the cost of parts for maintenance
2) the potential cost of damaging the many seals in a tractor by using any hydraulic oil other than exactly what the mfg recommends. Saving a $50 on a 5gal bucket of hydraulic oil would pale compared to causing a shortened life to the seals. The additives in hydraulic oils and their effects is too much to figure out if one oil is not optimal in its effect on the rubber seals.

Example of a cylinder kit (1-3/8" rod) for $299, maybe the yellow one in the picture is gold plated:

/ NH parts price gouging #17  
I used these two kits for the 7309 bucket tilt and lift cylinders on our 2120 . I didn't measure the bore carefully enough on one kit and had to exchange it for the correct one. There are several options for cylinders and seal kits on a 7309:

As for dealer prices, $299 for a seal kit of 9 pieces for a 1-3/8" rod is extreme price gouging and would cause me to consider:
1) other brands of tractors based on the cost of parts for maintenance
2) the potential cost of damaging the many seals in a tractor by using any hydraulic oil other than exactly what the mfg recommends. Saving a $50 on a 5gal bucket of hydraulic oil would pale compared to causing a shortened life to the seals. The additives in hydraulic oils and their effects is too much to figure out if one oil is not optimal in its effect on the rubber seals.

Example of a cylinder kit (1-3/8" rod) for $299, maybe the yellow one in the picture is gold plated:
Thank you very much for the info and the insight! Much appreciated.

/ NH parts price gouging #18  
When we changed the seals on the loader curl cylinder on a T6050 it was going to be $300+, that loader was actually built by ALO who was adsorbed by Quike. We ended up getting an AGCO seal set through our CIH dealer for the NH loader it was just a bit over $100

/ NH parts price gouging #19  
@CJFONNER , glad to help .

The seal company 'Hercules' has a a very easy to use website for finding and ordering seals. If I had more time , I would have measured my seals and just ordered them individually, but its more work and time. I don't see why, if you measure carefully and look carefully to match seal type , one couldn't make up a matching 'kit'. Also, not everything in a seal kit needs to be replaced, mostly its the ones that take high pressure and cause leaks: U-seal , O-ring and wiper ring. All of the 1-3/8" seals at Hercules are $20 or less

Id bet that tractor manufacturers do NOT make their own seals and probably buy from some of the same suppliers that the seal supply houses do. Having said that , it would probably be better to buy seals from a reputable supply house with reputable brand seals than from a ebay store that may package up no-name seals of unknown quality.

The potential risk and harm of a collapsing hydraulic cylinder due to a failed seal , is definitely something to consider, but there are options to explore besides the dealer.

Last edited: