NH T1520 ENGINE SEIZED

/ NH T1520 ENGINE SEIZED
Thanks so much everyone for your help. Yes, I realize records won't do anything now- I was just trying to figure out if there was a problem I should have been aware of when I sold it... It is valuable to me to hear a number of you saying the same thing- it should have been able to take the high rpm. I was just measuring the bearings I pulled out and comparing them to the factory specs. It appears to be a rod bearing- all hammered flat. I do wonder why the engine would not rotate more than a half inch or so. Guess I won't know till I open it up. I do hope the comment about mostly labor is true! I've had enough bad experiences to know the budget for a job is not what you estimate up front. A JD 4310 I had with bearing problems ended up with a cracked crank and a used engine was the most economical way out. As far as being mechanically inclined- some people think I am, but I do wonder sometimes when I'm in the middle of a project. Just finishing up a JD 790 that was broken in half. Anybody know how demand is for 790? I will try to post an update when I get the NH opened up. It will likely be a few weeks though. Too many projects!

/ NH T1520 ENGINE SEIZED #12  
Generally speaking, max RPM with no load is simply called "high idle" for a diesel.

/ NH T1520 ENGINE SEIZED
Update on the t1520- One of the rods were broken and the crank stopped so fast that all the flywheel bolts snapped off. I'm thinking the rod bearing might have spun and that's what started the problems. I had the crank ground and it checked out fine otherwise. Got most of my parts from Weaver Compact Tractors. Aftermarket parts at a fraction of the cost! I just need to assemble the engine now and hopefully it's good to go. I did buy the tractor back.

/ NH T1520 ENGINE SEIZED #14  
That is odd...sounds more like a hydrolock issue....I think there is more to the story, we are being fed bits and pieces, leaking head gasket, or injector, ...partial hydrolock..bent rod, then blows up;)

Diesel engines have a governor for a reason..to keep them from blowing up:)

/ NH T1520 ENGINE SEIZED #15  
Update on the t1520- One of the rods were broken and the crank stopped so fast that all the flywheel bolts snapped off. I'm thinking the rod bearing might have spun and that's what started the problems. I had the crank ground and it checked out fine otherwise. Got most of my parts from Weaver Compact Tractors. Aftermarket parts at a fraction of the cost! I just need to assemble the engine now and hopefully it's good to go. I did buy the tractor back.

Just re reading your post if the flywheel bolts were tight....Iam thinking ma bee not??? in any case Iwould be hard pressed to believe their was no twist in that crank.....sounds like a can of worms...don't punch yourself in the nads trying to save a buck:drink:

/ NH T1520 ENGINE SEIZED
Just re reading your post if the flywheel bolts were tight....Iam thinking ma bee not??? in any case Iwould be hard pressed to believe their was no twist in that crank.....sounds like a can of worms...don't punch yourself in the nads trying to save a buck:drink:

The rod got wedged between the crank and the block- that.s what made it stop so fast. The machine shop said it checked out fine and they were aware of what the crank had been through- hopefully they are right. A new crank is 2k....