Nh tc40

/ Nh tc40 #1  

castletractor

Tractor
NH tc40
Hydrostatic transmission works fine in summer. Will not engage in early spring or late fall until engine runs 10 minutes. Seems as though the fluid is too think until warm
Any ideas

/ Nh tc40 #2  
Good morning and welcome to TBN!
Do you know what fluid is in it and when it was last changed?

/ Nh tc40 #3  
Change the fluid and filter and see what happens. I know on my NH hydro when the steering and loader gets slow I need to change the filter. Sometimes it whines a bit louder when moving. I think the old hoses on the grapple and gannon are putting trash in the system. The oil always looks and smells fine, but a new filter always gets me fixed up when I have problems.

/ Nh tc40 #4  
Hydrostatic transmission works fine in summer. Will not engage in early spring or late fall until engine runs 10 minutes. Seems as though the fluid is too think until warm
Any ideas
What oil are you using? Sure sounds like old filters and an oil that is too viscous.

John Deere sells a popular cold weather grade trans/hydraulic fluid : Hy-Gard Low Viscosity (winter).
There are other low viscosity trans/hydraulic fluids. New Holland local dealer uses Multi-G 134 (Ambra). I've used it in the winter without problems.

John Deere manual (310SG) recommends that in very cold weather that the operator can speed up warming the trans/hydraulic oil by holding the steering in bypass mode for short periods of time.
I wouldn't do that, but they do.....
rScotty