nics in stabilizers

/ nics in stabilizers #1  

edt

Silver Member
Tractor
long 300dtc
Hi all a question my stabilizers have nics in them i have small leaks around the seals i know i need to replace seals but can i or a machine shop take the small nics out of the cylinders
so the new seals don't get damaged thanks
EDT

/ nics in stabilizers #2  
Most hydraulic shops can have them polished and rechromed. I'd check on that and the cost of new rods, just to see which is less expensive. If they're not bad they might be able to just polish them out.

/ nics in stabilizers #3  
we have used silver soldier to repair nicks in hyd cylinders b4, but it usually was on 3" + dia rods, could be done, but might be just as cheap to put in a new rod

/ nics in stabilizers #4  
OK don't laugh. I have used JB Weld on the combustion chamber of an aluminum cylinder head. This was on a Yamaha 500 desert bike. It never did come out. I would be temped to take emery cloth and smooth out the risers. Then put the JB Weld on. If for some reason it didn't work, you just be out about $5.

/ nics in stabilizers #5  
Several times I've used high quality 24hr epoxy to fill in nicks in cylinders and rust damage in the bores. Never had a failure.

/ nics in stabilizers #6  
On some of our real large hyd cylinders.. 3" bores.. etc.. they are soe expensive , and take so long to remove, we've had good luck cleaning them and brazing them, then polishing them. I guess solder would work good too.

Make the groove smooth if it has any high edges.. fill and polish as sooth as you can without deforming any sourounding surfaces... Try to do this away from the seals and packing.

Might get you a few more horse out of it.. or at least quell the leaking to something you can live with..

I would think re-rodding a small cylinder wouldn't be worth it unless you got cheap labor... I figure a small cylinder.. like a steering cylinder might be close in price to buy new rather than replace rod and repack with new seals.. etc. but who knows.. worth price checking at least... phone call is cheap/free.

one thing though.. bent rods are a no-no.. we don't even try to save them... they never do straighten out perfect..

Soundguy

/ nics in stabilizers #7  
one thing though.. bent rods are a no-no.. we don't even try to save them... they never do straighten out perfect.

i'd beg to differ on that, sometimes they straighten great, sometimes they snap like a twig, and sometimes they'll make an "s" insted of straightening.

usually you can get them within +/- 0.002"

580 case stabilizer rods don't straighten... but they snap rather nicely lol

/ nics in stabilizers
Thanks all great info it will be a winter project to clean and reseal
EDT