No spark!

/ No spark!
Treemonkey1000,
Any input is help full. I will check run test onanparts.com gave me and go from there.
onanparts.com,
Thanks for the spec on test the electronic ignition module. I like your web site and saved to favorites. I知 sure I will need it!

Patrick

/ No spark! #12  
Have you put a new plut in? I had a tiller once upon a time that would run fine until it got hot, that thing just about drove me crazy. Turned out to be a bad spark plug, it would work fine when it cooled off but quit when it got hot.

/ No spark! #13  
I had a mouse strip the insulation of an ignition wire and it would fire up when it wanted to and quit when it wanted to. It gave a dead short tomthe frame and the vibrations of trying to start sometimes moved it far enough awat y from the frame to start. Darn mice..It's a possibility because I also did everything in my power before I located the wire..Good luck.

/ No spark! #14  
This message is for Onanparts.com and may help both myself and the original poster..
I found my bad keyswitch was only part of the problem with my ignition system.

My ignition system will only spark when the voltage at the coil is 12V or higher, which means that while cranking the motor it doesn't have any spark because the starter is draining the system below the 12 Volt level..

I have already eliminated the keyswitch, oil pressure sensor, spark plugs, and all of MTD's kill switches as possible causes which only leaves the ignition coil and the HEI unit under the flywheel. The HEI unit test that you specified above gave a reading of 0.9 Volts once per every revolution of the flywheel.. But are there other tests that I can do to test the ignition coil and HEI resistance that might tell me which one is the culprit..

Thanks,

Kevin B. Payne
"New Project = Big Headache"