Nor trac 254 steering issue

/ Nor trac 254 steering issue #1  

Chatlie57

Tractor
Nor- trac 25
my north track 254 tractor the steering is hard, one way and then eases up in power steers properly. When you go to steer back, it locks up again. I’ve changed the oil clean the screen have flow to the piston. I took the diverter valve apart and cleaned it everything seems to be good there. all the while the three-point hitch has plenty of pressure and works perfectly. Don’t know if I have a bad diverter valve or if it’s the steering head itself. or if the seals are going in the cylinder internally, any insight would be I’d be thankful for.

/ Nor trac 254 steering issue #2  
You have done the basic maintenance stuff so we can at least skip that.

Some of the early 254 Jinma units had a separate tank and pump for the steering, some used the 3 point hydraulic system to power the steering. Since you mentioned the diverter valve, you likely have the combined system. Just checking to make sure.

Do you have a front end loader? If so, does it work properly? Have you tried by-passing the loader by connecting the two tractor side hoses to each other and leaving the loader side hoses disconnected?

You seem to have it narrowed down to the cylinder on the axle or the "steering sector" box at the bottom of the steering column. Based on your description, my first instinct is the sector box, but that does not rule out the cylinder.

Here is the next test that I would do. Jack up the front axle so both wheels are off the ground. If you have a front end loader it should be able to lift the front end high enough for both tires to clear.

Then with the engine off, turn the steering wheel. You should be able to turn it in either direction continuously with no hard stops. The cylinder will turn the wheels until they hit the physical stop on the axle, but the steering wheel should still turn past that stop. The steering should feel smooth in both directions but you might feel a little more resistance after the wheels have hit the physical stop.

Then start the engine and test again. It should work the same way, but require less force. If you feel any "catches" or areas of varying resistance, try to take notice of the position of the cylinder and the steering wheel. Keep going in both directions past the physical stop. See if there is any correlation between where the "catches" are and cylinder and steering wheel. If these spots are repeatable, that will give you a clue as if it is the sector or the cylinder.

Let us know what you find out.

/ Nor trac 254 steering issue #3  
If hard one way and easy the other it could be the seals in the cylinder. I had that happen. Replaced seals all good.

/ Nor trac 254 steering issue
You have done the basic maintenance stuff so we can at least skip that.

Some of the early 254 Jinma units had a separate tank and pump for the steering, some used the 3 point hydraulic system to power the steering. Since you mentioned the diverter valve, you likely have the combined system. Just checking to make sure.

Do you have a front end loader? If so, does it work properly? Have you tried by-passing the loader by connecting the two tractor side hoses to each other and leaving the loader side hoses disconnected?

You seem to have it narrowed down to the cylinder on the axle or the "steering sector" box at the bottom of the steering column. Based on your description, my first instinct is the sector box, but that does not rule out the cylinder.

Here is the next test that I would do. Jack up the front axle so both wheels are off the ground. If you have a front end loader it should be able to lift the front end high enough for both tires to clear.

Then with the engine off, turn the steering wheel. You should be able to turn it in either direction continuously with no hard stops. The cylinder will turn the wheels until they hit the physical stop on the axle, but the steering wheel should still turn past that stop. The steering should feel smooth in both directions but you might feel a little more resistance after the wheels have hit the physical stop.

Then start the engine and test again. It should work the same way, but require less force. If you feel any "catches" or areas of varying resistance, try to take notice of the position of the cylinder and the steering wheel. Keep going in both directions past the physical stop. See if there is any correlation between where the "catches" are and cylinder and steering wheel. If these spots are repeatable, that will give you a clue as if it is the sector or the cylinder.

Let us know what you find out.

I followed your suggestion, and I jacked it up, it’s very sluggish and clunky, staring through and binds in lots of places doesn’t seem to be rhyme or reason where it does it starting to believe it’s in the steering valve itself at the bottom of the column

I followed your suggestion, and I jacked it up, it’s very sluggish and clunky, staring through and binds in lots of places doesn’t seem to be rhyme or reason where it does it starting to believe it’s in the steering valve itself at the bottom of the column
PS there’s no loader on this tractor

/ Nor trac 254 steering issue #7  
I suspect you are correct in thinking it is the sector box. To confirm, take the hoses off of the cylinder and put them into a bucket. Then turn the steering wheel back and forth. If it still feels clunky, it most likely needs a new box.
As far as I know there are no internal parts available only the whole unit. If that is the case, I would order the unit, then take the old one apart to see what is wrong. If it could be fixed, the new one would go on the shelf as a spare. If not, well, at least you know.

I suspect you are correct in thinking it is the sector box. To confirm, take the hoses off of the cylinder and put them into a bucket. Then turn the steering wheel back and forth. If it still feels clunky, it most likely needs a new box.
As far as I know there are no internal parts available only the whole unit. If that is the case, I would order the unit, then take the old one apart to see what is wrong. If it could be fixed, the new one would go on the shelf as a spare. If not, well, at least you know.
Today I went out and went through the motions again just to make sure I had everything right in my mind, after rotating the wheel, one way, and then the other, and having it jam up hard, and a few places, I tried, turning the front wheels independently without using the wheel and the entire front end could be moved back-and-forth. It was big air gap in the cylinder, so I would have to guess that the steering selector valve pump at the bottom of the steering column is not moving fluid the way it’s supposed to. I don’t understand totally as I’m also thinking it could be the diverter valves not allowing oil through for the unit, guess I’m still scratching my head. I’m gonna take the hoses off and put them in a bucket and see if it rotates the same way , or if it moves freely

Yesterday afternoon, I decided to take steering selector valve out and pull the steering column, I have definitely gotten to the bottom of the problem after pulling the steering motor of valve. Whatever you’d like to call it out the entire top with a shaft goes into it was all full of powdered rust And was jamming up with pieces of what was left of ball bearings. After cleaning the motor and lubricating the top of it thing, turns evenly and freely in any direction create suction pushes where it should all those things so I took the steering column apart and there was no bearing left at all or a seal. Everything was chewed up and gone so I got that all apart and I’m waiting for Parts from Chinese tractor parts company, I did order a new steering motor as to be sure, just thought I’d let everybody know and thank you for your help

/ Nor trac 254 steering issue #10  
Good job.
Did you get any pictures of it apart that you could post?