Not Haying but How to Deal with Strewn Hay

/ Not Haying but How to Deal with Strewn Hay
Thanks for all the advise. I have several ideas to follow. I've had similar experience with the grass coming up better in the areas where bales were placed. However, if the accumulation is too much, it tends to act more like mulch and prevent undergrowth.

I like the idea of spreading the thicker areas then moving it with the zero turn to mulch it up. The residual seeds will have mulched grass for moisture. I'm going to try this out and watch for results. I'll post pictures of the result.

Thanks again for all the tips. Life is so much easier learning from those who have gone before you!

IHR

/ Not Haying but How to Deal with Strewn Hay #12  
Any of your neighbors have goats? Borrow them if possible and use electric fence to keep where you want them. They will clean up the mess fast. Just don't be the butt of their work:eek::D learned that lesson the hard way:laughing:

This also works on fields with lots of weeds if you don't want to use chemicals. They keep the seed heads eaten.

/ Not Haying but How to Deal with Strewn Hay #13  
Thanks for all the advise. I have several ideas to follow. I've had similar experience with the grass coming up better in the areas where bales were placed. However, if the accumulation is too much, it tends to act more like mulch and prevent undergrowth.

I like the idea of spreading the thicker areas then moving it with the zero turn to mulch it up. The residual seeds will have mulched grass for moisture. I'm going to try this out and watch for results. I'll post pictures of the result.

Thanks again for all the tips. Life is so much easier learning from those who have gone before you!

IHR
Crisscross with a field drag will do wonders for the spreading. Then chop it up/throw it with the mower. Choose proper dryness conditions to suit activity.