Not Too Happy with Engine Heater

/ Not Too Happy with Engine Heater
One of my first thoughts when I saw the first video, is your extension cord. How long is it and what gauge wire? I have a feeling you might be getting a fair sized voltage drop because of the light duty cord. It would be interesting to measure the voltage on the wall plug with the heater on. Then move you meter to the end of the cord by the heater and see what you get there.

I will definitely look into that.
The cord is new, 20ft. Don't remember the gauge. I just grabbed one off the shelf.

Thank you!

/ Not Too Happy with Engine Heater #32  
Here all this time I thought you already had a frost plug heater

/ Not Too Happy with Engine Heater #33  
I will definitely look into that.
The cord is new, 20ft. Don't remember the gauge. I just grabbed one off the shelf.

Thank you!

For heating engines I suggest minimum 14 g with 12 g preferred.

At 20 ft if that was 16 g you'd see voltage drop when drawing the typical 400 watts that most heaters are rated at.

/ Not Too Happy with Engine Heater #34  
Katz in-line heater installation.[video]https://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com/pdf/heater_training.ppt[/video]

Orientation is important.

Radiator Heaters

?/font>Not Recommended for any engine, American or foreign, unless specifically listed in the Application Guide. Some customers mistakenly believe that the Lower Radiator Heater can be used as long as the hose diameter matches. These are also application specific.
?/font>Do not use on lower radiator hose which enters the engine lower than the highest point of the hose.

俵nit must be installed exactly as described in the instructions: Install with the cap down at 5-7 o団lock position and element pointing toward engine block.Radiator Heaters

?/font>Not Recommended for any engine, American or foreign, unless specifically listed in the Application Guide. Some customers mistakenly believe that the Lower Radiator Heater can be used as long as the hose diameter matches. These are also application specific.
?/font>Do not use on lower radiator hose which enters the engine lower than the highest point of the hose.
?/font>Unit must be installed exactly as described in the instructions: Install with the cap down at 5-7 o団lock position and element pointing toward engine block.

The extension cord is a 20ft 12ga.
I measured the wattage at the outlet and it was 550w with a cold engine. The I then re-read the wattage at the heater after the cord as 550w, no change.

I think the reason I was seeing an amp dip was due to the heater being on for a while. It is thermostat controlled, and I was probably reading a dip.

/ Not Too Happy with Engine Heater #36  
You may want to get your dealership to update your ECU as well. There was an update that Rusty posted when he had his turbo problems.

It's a safety interlock that disables the throttle for a period of a minute or so when ambient temperature is 32°F or colder. That allows time to ensure proper lubrication to the turbo. After that I'd be fine if it wanted to regenerate.

Most Delphi systems, XR and MT turbo motors, want normal coolant temperature before automatic regeneration which is 176°F on our motor. Remarkably or not that is how the Delphi systems were setup in VW diesel's as well.

My Cummins is not that way, as it will start regeneration on a cold motor as soon as it seems 45 MPH. Which has never bothered me or my truck for the 12 years I've owned it.

Another note for our engines that most are probably not aware of, is that the EGR does not turn on when ambient temperature is below 32°F and the EGR is also not used, turned off, during regeneration.

Thank you P.
I did get an update this last summer. I took the tractor into the dealership for a very tiny warranty repair (small leak from front drive shaft seal) and while it was there, they updated the ECU. However, I can rev the engine past idle at absolute cold, well below freezing. I dont tend to do this, I let it idle at idle for a few before revving up to 1500 to warm up. But can rev it up just after startup.

The dealer did tell me that my ECU was a few versions behind, but not anymore after the update. I didn't ask for a change log. :)

So maybe I dont have the actual latest and greatest, but I'm sure they updated my ECU with their version of the latest and greatest.

/ Not Too Happy with Engine Heater #38  
I'll look through my stuff and verify the throttle cutoff. Gotta believe you have it if the dealership flashed it.