Not your average movable shed on skids

/ Not your average movable shed on skids #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
World's largest moveable land-based structure.

900ft wide and 354ft tall

Chernobyl reactor cover

_92434916_26447282122_0a4509e597_k.jpg

Chernobyl disaster: Giant shield begins move towards reactor - BBC News

Bruce

/ Not your average movable shed on skids #3  
I am curious as to who is paying for all of this... the Russians???

/ Not your average movable shed on skids #4  

General Electric-designed reactors in Fukushima have 23 sisters in U.S.
Who will pay??

/ Not your average movable shed on skids #5  

If it was the U.S., the utility company would petition the state for a rate hike and pass the cost along to the customer. :rolleyes:

/ Not your average movable shed on skids #6  
General Electric-designed reactors in Fukushima have 23 sisters in U.S.
Who will pay??

Japan's government is picking up the entire tab,,,

I helped design the enclosures for the electrical drives (variable frequency) for TEPCO for that plant,,,
A single drive was about 30 feet long, 7 feet high,,, we must have built hundreds of them for that facility.
the drives were produced continuously for over a year,,,

My FIL was involved in developing the controls for Three Mile Island,,,

Then there is the controls for the rail gun ,,, I oversaw the vibration testing of the controls.
LOTS of explosives!! that was fun!! :thumbsup:

/ Not your average movable shed on skids #7  
The Chernobyl enclosure and protective work is funded by an international organization that has about 30 countries as members. In addition to Russia and Ukraine, it includes most Western and Eastern European countries, the US, Japan, Canada, etc.

In the US, each nuclear plant is required to carry insurance per the Price Anderson Act. This provides individual insurance for accidents for each reactor plus a pool of approximately $12 Billion dollars to compensate individuals impacted by nuclear accidents. If liability exceeds that limit, the US congress can decide to compensate those claims. If they do, they are allowed to assess the cost from all operating nuclear plants into the future until it's paid off.

This coverage has been in effect since 1957 (60 years) and has been quite lucrative for the insurance companies. The amount paid to date is $0. (Three Mile Island was under the minimum deductible.)